HID Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HID Conversion

So, my current setup is sealed beams, and ellipsoid ZTW Fogs (with Yellow Lamin-x as of today). I want to do the ellipsoid conversion, and do HID's for all. (Lows, Highs, and Fogs) What type of bulbs should I get for each? (based on experience). I have the Candlepower Selective gold's on my Fogs, and they aren't as bright as I would like (pre-lamin-x). I want to have solid, bright vision ahead of me at night. I think I've gone without HIDs for too long now.

Thanks!

1991 BMW 318i (Old Shell RIP, Now Being Re-shelled & Reborn)
    1983 Peugeot 505 STI
    1992 Volvo 240 Wagon
    2009 Toyota 4Runner SR5 Sport 4WD

for fogs if you're looking for yellow get a 35w 3000k. I fucking hate these stupid blue lights with a passion so the highest i'd go for low beams is a 55w 4000k

Comment

HID's in high beams is a bad idea if you tend to flash your high beams. It takes a few seconds for HID's to fully warm up so that kinda kills the effectiveness of the flashing. :p

Just sayin.

But US ellipsoids use 9006 bulbs IIRC for the low beams. Don't remember the highs. I've got 55w 6000k bulbs in mine and they're actually not blue at all. Supposedly the extra wattage washes out the blue and just makes them really white.

Still, 4300k is what OEM's use, and light output actually diminishes as temperature goes up. So if you want max light output, get 4300's.

Matt
      Matt

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy
      I pack my CD player with asbestos. Those mother fuckers pay dearly for stealing my shit.
      Originally posted by kronus
      try whacking parts of the motor with a wrench while yelling "YOU WANT SUMMA DIS? HUH?"
      Originally posted by chadthestampede
      This is like a reverse build thread; it starts out nice and gets shitty.

Comment

Originally posted by E30Nova View Post
        HID's in high beams is a bad idea if you tend to flash your high beams. It takes a few seconds for HID's to fully warm up so that kinda kills the effectiveness of the flashing. :p
        I'm not sure if this is normal, but mine flash before they start to warm up so it might still work. I'm also thinking about getting a set for my highs, so Sina if you do get this all set up, I'd like to take a look.
        1989 325i Alpineweiß II

Comment

Just sayin.

But US ellipsoids use 9006 bulbs IIRC for the low beams. Don't remember the highs. I've got 55w 6000k bulbs in mine and they're actually not blue at all. Supposedly the extra wattage washes out the blue and just makes them really white.

Still, 4300k is what OEM's use, and light output actually diminishes as temperature goes up. So if you want max light output, get 4300's.

Matt
          Matt's got it right pretty much. And if you look in the Member's Rides thread, you can use my car for reference, though the pictures make it look blue for some reason even though they aren't.

35w for fogs. 55w for low-beams(you will not be pleased with 35w low-beams).

Originally posted by unrlmth View Post
          I'm not sure if this is normal, but mine flash before they start to warm up so it might still work. I'm also thinking about getting a set for my highs, so Sina if you do get this all set up, I'd like to take a look.
          Yea that's normal, they quickly flash then go dim to warm up.
          It is also bad to flash HID's; you will burn them out quickly.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Originally posted by ak- View Post
            Matt's got it right pretty much. And if you look in the Member's Rides thread, you can use my car for reference, though the pictures make it look blue for some reason even though they aren't.

35w for fogs. 55w for low-beams(you will not be pleased with 35w low-beams).

Yea that's normal, they quickly flash then go dim to warm up.
            It is also bad to flash HID's; you will burn them out quickly.
            Just curious, but do you think 35w is enough for the high beams?
            1989 325i Alpineweiß II

Comment

I should really get some pics of my lights to show 55w 6000k's.

And ak, *supposedly* HID's have come a long way and flashing them is no longer a bad thing...but really, I'm too paranoid to try it...*shrug*

Matt
              Matt

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy
              I pack my CD player with asbestos. Those mother fuckers pay dearly for stealing my shit.
              Originally posted by kronus
              try whacking parts of the motor with a wrench while yelling "YOU WANT SUMMA DIS? HUH?"
              Originally posted by chadthestampede
              This is like a reverse build thread; it starts out nice and gets shitty.

Comment

Also check out this thread here, http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=117367 it shows alot of different setups.

1992 BMW 325iC
                1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
                1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

what is my checklist as far as parts?
                  I want the 8000k for my lows, and 3000k for fogs.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                  1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Originally posted by unrlmth View Post
                    Just curious, but do you think 35w is enough for the high beams?
                    No, but what do you use your Hi-beams for?
                    I personally want/am getting 100w rally bulbs for my hi-beams because I neverr use them unless I'm coming into a blind corner at night in a single lane or flashing someone/something.

I should really get some pics of my lights to show 55w 6000k's.

And ak, *supposedly* HID's have come a long way and flashing them is no longer a bad thing...but really, I'm too paranoid to try it...*shrug*

Matt
                    Oh I didn't know that. I'm in the same boat as you though lol, I don't really would try flashing mine/turning them off and on constantly.

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
                    what is my checklist as far as parts?
                    I want the 8000k for my lows, and 3000k for fogs.
                    8k will be blue.
                    3k will be yellow.
                    and yea, refer to nando's comment.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Whoops, didn't see his post senor abbdullah.

This is what I'm looking at, as far both lows & fogs. I sorta like a little blue now and again, as long as it doesn't affect potential visibility. Do I need all that extra shit (ie: HID Harness & error code eliminator)? I thought the 'kit' includes all I need?

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                      1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

I have 35w lows, I like them.

Comment

Originally posted by freeride53 View Post
                          Whoops, didn't see his post senor abbdullah.

This is what I'm looking at, as far both lows & fogs. I sorta like a little blue now and again, as long as it doesn't affect potential visibility. Do I need all that extra shit (ie: HID Harness & error code eliminator)? I thought the 'kit' includes all I need?
                          lol, it's abdulmuttaleb actually.

But no, you don't need any type of code eliminator or any of that.
                          And yea, I guess you want 8k 55w if you're looking for a more bluer hue.
                          I don't know how it will look on the road though.

Don't get 55w HID fogs, I have 60/55w(idr) bulbs in my fogs and they look like asshole-lights when I let me friend drive my car while I drove his and saw my lights in the rear view mirror. Though, I don't know the condition of your chrome reflectors in your fogs and shit I guess.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Hahah my bad, interesting name. Thanks. I haven't (yet) bought a set of ellipsoids, but I think I'm going to order the HIDs first, to get it out of the way. Here are my Fogs up-close. They're pretty damn minty, clear as hell, OEM ZTW Ellipsoid fogs. I'm gonna look for the cheapest deal on ellipsoids, and I can revive them If need be. I'll stick with the 35k fogs, not trying to be a vortex-esque d-bag, of which I've encountered many lol.

1983 Peugeot 505 STI
                            1992 Volvo 240 Wagon

Comment

Theres a set for sale for $105 i think on here.

1991 325iS turbo

Comment

Working...
                              X