US Ellips wiring help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

US Ellips wiring help

I'm trying to figure out how to replace the sealed beams with the set of US ellips I have here, and when I searched all I found was one thread and the pics were broken so that was no help, and I'm completely lost, so any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Nick
    Re-Build:
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...00#post2471300

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...24#post2157024

I'm in the same boat. I've managed to wire them up so that both highs and lows are on at the same time (not right) and then I've managed to wire up the lows to go on correctly but when I flash the highs, only the highs go on and the lows turn off. Sucks!
    world renown Harry Potter expert
    sigpic

Comment

search for how to wire in euro ellips. its the same for US ellips minus the city light
      Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Originally posted by TimKninja
      Im more afraid of this thread turning into one of those classic R3v moments, where Pizza gets delivered.

Comment

Originally posted by phreshkid View Post
        I'm in the same boat. I've managed to wire them up so that both highs and lows are on at the same time (not right) and then I've managed to wire up the lows to go on correctly but when I flash the highs, only the highs go on and the lows turn off. Sucks!
        there is a thread to bridging the pin connection #30 on the low and high beam relay with a small wire and solder. This will allow the lows and highs to come on at the same time.

I don't think you can remedy this problem without the above application.
        I have the same problem with both my cars 87 90 325s

Unless as mentioned there is a write up about the wiring?
        sigpic

Comment

Bump, I've been trying to find a decent thread about a sealed beam to ellipsoid conversion for a long ass time to no avail. :l
          ///Z

1988 BMW 325 Super Eta - Elsa

"i"CONVERSIONWARchip&3.0MAF3.73LSDBBSRSsSMILIES"is"SPOILER+LIPHOUNDSTOOTHSHORTSHIFTERPLASTICBUMPERCONVERSIONEtc.

Sell Me Your SCHWARZ FENDERS!

Originally posted by chadthestampede
          ^ Nothing you post makes any sense.

Comment

to whom it may concern,

ok, its simple. your sealed beams had two positive (power) wires for the low beam and one negative. when you wire in your new plugs for the ellips, solder in both positive wires instead of just one. DONE.

love, dan.

Comment

K thx. Wish I had some pigtails now..
              ///Z

1988 BMW 325 Super Eta - Elsa

"i"CONVERSIONWARchip&3.0MAF3.73LSDBBSRSsSMILIES"is"SPOILER+LIPHOUNDSTOOTHSHORTSHIFTERPLASTICBUMPERCONVERSIONEtc.

Sell Me Your SCHWARZ FENDERS!

Originally posted by chadthestampede
              ^ Nothing you post makes any sense.

Comment

I only wired up the low beam positive+ wire on mine , then modified the K3 high beam relay by running a line of solder between pin 30 and pin 87a.
                But that is because I am running HID's and don't want them switching off intermittently when I click the high beams.

Comment

Originally posted by straight6pwr View Post
                  to whom it may concern,

ok, its simple. your sealed beams had two positive (power) wires for the low beam and one negative. when you wire in your new plugs for the ellips, solder in both positive wires instead of just one. DONE.

love, dan.
                  What about the high beams? Same thing?

Comment

to whom it may concern,

love, dan.

Wrong, you only use 1 wire, or it makes your highs stay on after your lows are off,

you lose the feature of having high and low on at the same time, after swapping to ellips

Please leave feedback below, thanks

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=358170

Comment

Just finished the conversion.

Its really easy if you have pigtails. Match up the colors, leave the white/blue(or sometimes purple) wire off. On my drivers side highbeam there were two white/blue wires, so I just guessed and connected one and left the other one disconnected.

Very simple.

Comment

to whom it may concern,

love, dan.
                        I just installed ellipsoids on my 91 318is. (Originals were halogens.) I was going to replace them with H1-H4s but I like the ellipsoid look better and they were free. Of course I ran into the same issue of having the lows stay on with high beams on.
                        I am concerned about you suggestion. With the low beams on, the high beam wire becomes energized and will back-feed to the relay. It may very well be that the back-feed is of no consequence whatsoever. But I don't know for sure.
                        Electrical systems are quite simple but yet, can be quite complicated. Improper wiring can cause a fire, or at the very least, fried wiring which can be a nightmare to repair. Has this been done successfully by anyone with no adverse effect over a long period of time?
                        Thanks.
                        Pierre
                        91 318is, 84 323i (S52), 69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 530i (3.3) 79 323i, 96 318ti (S52), 2001 540i (6sp) 2002 330i (wife) 2002 R1150RT, 2003 525iT.
                        O==00==O

Comment

Yup, I have a set in mine now for 2 years. No problems. you'll blow a fuse before any wiring issues come up. The highs stay on very low voltage so there is no problem. Yes, the car is not pre-wired for this. I think it looks cool with the lows on and the highs amber at night time.
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
                            I just installed ellipsoids on my 91 318is. (Originals were halogens.) I was going to replace them with H1-H4s but I like the ellipsoid look better and they were free. Of course I ran into the same issue of having the lows stay on with high beams on.
                            I am concerned about you suggestion. With the low beams on, the high beam wire becomes energized and will back-feed to the relay. It may very well be that the back-feed is of no consequence whatsoever. But I don't know for sure.
                            Electrical systems are quite simple but yet, can be quite complicated. Improper wiring can cause a fire, or at the very least, fried wiring which can be a nightmare to repair. Has this been done successfully by anyone with no adverse effect over a long period of time?
                            Thanks.
                            All you can do is try. e30s are wired in many different ways and some procedures work for some and not for others.

Comment

Working...
                            X