left rear tail light not working.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

left rear tail light not working.

I confirmed that the bulb and tail light hosuing are both fine, but when I hooked bulb directly the the connector for the houseing I still got nothing.

So I have a problem with the wiring. Are there any key places you think I should check first?

Did you check the fuses?
    '87 Zinno 325e

Comment

Originally posted by Bene View Post
      I confirmed that the bulb and tail light hosuing are both fine, but when I hooked bulb directly the the connector for the houseing I still got nothing.

So I have a problem with the wiring. Are there any key places you think I should check first?
      Start with the fuse-inspect closely but better still just replace it. then retest it.
      sigpic

Comment

If only only the drivers side is out, could that still be blamed on a fuse?

What I need to find out is, where in the system does the wiring for the two sides split?

Just so we're clear, I'm talking about thee tail light. The brake lights work fine.

Comment

Mine was the same way when I parked it a year ago. I still need to make time to look into that.. This thread serves as a good reminder.

Comment

BMW splits the two sides at the fusebox. They are separate throughout the car.

The idea is a failure won't leave you without any rear lights (domestic stuff wires the taillights to the dash lights so you are more likely to notice when there is a failure)

The other part has to do with a euro only light configuration, you could actually switch either side on independently.
            -Dave
            2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

This happened to me, and this is how I fixed it: I took the bulb out and sanded down the connector (it was corroded). When I put it back on, the right tail-light wouldn't work...? Took off the right tail light and sanded the connectors, and both have been working great since then (several months ago)

I had also tried changing the fuse, as I thought that was the problem. Turn out it was just a dirty connection to the bulb :p
              Just tryin' to feed the e30 need.

\/,,

Comment

Originally posted by blindwOw View Post
                Did you check the fuses?
                This. I think it's fuse 10 but I'm probably wrong.
                Originally posted by DaveSmed View Post
                BMW splits the two sides at the fusebox. They are separate throughout the car.

The idea is a failure won't leave you without any rear lights (domestic stuff wires the taillights to the dash lights so you are more likely to notice when there is a failure)

The other part has to do with a euro only light configuration, you could actually switch either side on independently.
                BMW turns off the dash lights too. I has a random short up front that would cause the dash lights and one taillight to blow.
                Byron
                Leichtbau

Comment

going by the fuse diagram on this site:

22 - 7.5 - Active Check Control
                  Front Parking Lights
                  TaillightsFront Side Marker Lights

23 - 7.5 - Instrument Panel Lights
                  Front Parking Lights
                  TaillightsRear Side Marker/License Plate Lights
                  Active Check Control
                  Rear Defogger
                  Multi-Function Clock
                  OBC

...and assuming 1 tailing for either fuse. I'll check out thoses systems that I still have and narrow it down.

thanks for the help.

Comment

Pipe cleaner and CRC electronics cleaner

Closing SOON!
                    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

it was a fuse. I don't know how I missed it earlier.

Now I just need to figure out why my right blinker stays on with the headlights...

Comment

Working...
                      X