interior light timer relay diagnostic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

interior light timer relay diagnostic

this is a simple diag for the light timer relay # 61311373974 located in drivers footwell kick panel below speaker (next to central locking control module)
    for anybody trying to diagnose the funtion of this relay i figured out how it works today with a power source ,voltmeter and some jumpers . the one on my IX wasnt operating the timer just the relay would click with drivers door open/closed or by operating jamb switch by hand(light would go on with door open ,off as soon as door closed). any way the relay gets power on pin 30,ground at pin 31 ,TG is ground signal from outside door handle switch, TK is ground signal from drivers door jamb switch, pin 15 is power signal from ignition switch in run position, pin A is ground signal output to turn on interior lights.
    for the timer function to work it needs to first see a ground signal from the outside handle being pulled up at pin TG (this charges a capacitor in the relay,and of course mechanically opens the door)then it needs to see a ground from door jamb switch at pin TK as the door swings open this closes the relay in the light timer and turns the lights on (connecting ground from pin 31 to pin 4 out to the light assemblies,the capacitor is still holding it charge) and as long as door stays open relay stays closed .once drivers door is closed (timer starts) relay is now held closed by power from the slow decay of the charged capacitor once the minimum hold open voltage is reached the relay opens and lights go off (this is why you see a figure of 6 to 9 seconds for the light delay depending on charge in capacitor as each will vary).second way the relay will open is to see power at pin 15 from ignition switch this puts power to both control sides of the relay which causes relay to open.

so i my case i was not getting the ground signal from the outside door handle and therefore no light timer function ,just the relay opening/closing with signal from door jamb switch (which is a nice default so the lights will always work as long as this part of the light timer works). so now i need to trace down the lack of ground signal to relay pin TG from outer door handle ,i assume either the microswitch is bad or a bad connection at the door hinge main connector. then i will have a light timer again ,i have read a lot about folks thinking this relay is bad and by-passing it but im sure most issues will be caused by lack of both ground signals from door switches and understanding it is half the battle to diagnosing properly.
    hope this helps some folks out
    Angus
    88 E30M3 X2
    89 325IX
    92 R100GS/PD
    :)

Yea. That's all been well documented before.^ I'm afraid that's nothing new.

I sell relays that do the dimming properly if you are interested. They actually FADE out the lights - like a movie theatre. Actually - just like all the NEW BMW's have. PM me if you are interested.
    Originally posted by Matt-B
    hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Working...
    X