Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what next if 55W HIDs with 4500K bulbs fail to satisfy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what next if 55W HIDs with 4500K bulbs fail to satisfy?

i had ordered a 55w hid kit for my low beams. i now have two different (and knowledgeable) people telling me that the 55w ballasts aren't connecting to the 9006 bulbs as they should. did i order incorrectly, or had they sent me the wrong items?

i'll try to get a picture of this later today, but just wanted to try to rule out that i had ordered incorrectly (which i am pretty sure i did not). thanks.

my order:

Raptor HID Kit, 55W, 9006, 4500K
    Bulb Color: 4500K
    Bulb Type: 9006
    Wattage: 55W (+$10.00)
    RAP55W.9006.4500K $40.00
    Last edited by leegf; 04-17-2011, 06:41 PM.

E46t

Originally posted by leegf View Post
    i had ordered a 55w hid kit for my low beams. i now have two different (and knowledgeable) people telling me that the 55w ballasts aren't connecting to the 9006 bulbs as they should. did i order incorrectly, or had they sent me the wrong items?

i'll try to get a picture of this later today, but just wanted to try to rule out that i had ordered incorrectly (which i am pretty sure i did not). thanks.

my order:

Raptor HID Kit, 55W, 9006, 4500K
    Bulb Color: 4500K
    Bulb Type: 9006
    Wattage: 55W (+$10.00)
    RAP55W.9006.4500K $40.00
    which part doesnt connect? 1) the stock plug into the ballast or 2) the ballast to the bulb.

Comment

sorry...

never used this smiley before.. I thought it was appropriate.

Post pics, so we could help!

jou ma se poes in 'n fishpaste jar.
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Transaction Feedback

Comment

thank you both. so, i am happy to report that this turned out to be a false alarm! everything connects and is now working as it should.

however, the output is still underwhelming to me. if i'm not satisfied with a 55W HID kit with 4500K bulbs, where do i go from here? i prefer plug n' play applications, but i'm afraid i may have reached the end of that line.

E46t

Comment

Originally posted by leegf View Post
          thank you both. so, i am happy to report that this turned out to be a false alarm! everything connects and is now working as it should.

however, the output is still underwhelming to me. if i'm not satisfied with a 55W HID kit with 4500K bulbs, where do i go from here? i prefer plug n' play applications, but i'm afraid i may have reached the end of that line.
          the next jump to take is to retrofit some quality, modern HID projectors into the e30 headlights. i've seen it done with Acura TSX/RSX projectors as well as others. if you are really obsessive about light, you could pair that with some crystal clear lenses and have sharp-as-a-tack cutoff as well.

Comment

Originally posted by straight6pwr View Post
            the next jump to take is to retrofit some quality, modern HID projectors into the e30 headlights. i've seen it done with Acura TSX/RSX projectors as well as others. if you are really obsessive about light, you could pair that with some crystal clear lenses and have sharp-as-a-tack cutoff as well.
            yeah, i figured that would be the case. i'll have to give theretrofitsource.com a harder look, although i don't know if i'm cut out for it (in terms of DIY know-how).

E46t

Comment

You do something like this

;)

Comment

I can't get over how bright that is.

-NICK

Comment

yup, wish i had the bones for a retrofit.

Comment

How'd you mount them? I keep meaning to get off my ass and put the TSXes that I already have into my Bosch Smilies.
                    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                    2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                    Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by nrubenstein View Post
                      How'd you mount them? I keep meaning to get off my ass and put the TSXes that I already have into my Bosch Smilies.
                      ive seen them mmounted in with fiberglass. its not pretty, but it works, and youd never see it anyways.

Comment

Originally posted by straight6pwr View Post
                        ive seen them mmounted in with fiberglass. its not pretty, but it works, and youd never see it anyways.

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=129152
                        I've seen those. The mounting has nothing to do with the fiberglass, btw.
                        2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                        2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                        1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                        1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                        - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                        1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                        1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                        Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

I've seen those. The mounting has nothing to do with the fiberglass, btw.
                          well they are mounted with small tabs, but fiberglassed to seal in. its pretty explanatory with the photos.

Comment

The FX-Rs that I used have easy mounting points. I just used some bolts and washers and drilled into the smiley housing.

If you want to see more

Comment

Led?
                              Renting my rear wheel bearing tool kit. SIR
                              http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c5...ps6debf0b0.jpg

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Working...
                              X