HIDs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HIDs?

What is the best brand of HID one can buy? Ive heard some good and bad about ddm and what not... What's a good brand that i cant put on my car and forget about.

They are all the same chinese stuff.

Buy from whomever has a sale going on.
    -Dave
    2003 Lincoln Towncar | 1992 BMW 325iC | 1968 Cadillac Deville

Need some help figuring out the ETM?

Comment

I find that the ebay HIDs last longer then any other place, like DDM.
      Like Dave said, they are the same shit. But I guess its who you buy from.

Comment

Depends on your budget, most good junkyards have OE ballasts at this point which are much higher quality than much of the after market stuff if your willing to set them up properly in your car. I'm running Apexcone HIDs in my e30, but the wife's Mazda is running a DDM setup, and the bus has OE Hella ballasts and bulbs ready to be retrofitted.

Comment

The DDM quality is the same as the ebay ones. It's just with DDM, they throw what every color they have on hand into a box and ship it.

If I were buying again, I'd look up a picture of a DDM unit, and then find the exact same looking unit on ebay. Hopefully you'll find someone that list realistic bulb colors.
          Originally posted by Matt-B
          hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

I recommend VVME, which operates as obdmart on eBay.

I've had much better luck with them than with DDM, as demonstrated in this thread:

The pricing nets out about the same and you actually get what you ask for.
            2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
            2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
            1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
            1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
            - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
            1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
            1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
            Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

Excuse the noob and potentially off topic question. What bulb do the low beams use? I have some old ballast from my other car and wouldn't mind getting some HID's in the E30 but not sure what bulb it uses.

On topic though, they are Ebay specials and never had an issue with them.
              91 318is M50 swapped
              05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

if u want something u will never have to really worry about and dont care about money just get OEM X5 HIDs
                sigpic
                ^Back in the game^
                BUILD THREAD: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=201281
                FS thread:
                http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=214105

Comment

get red :D
                  -FREEDOM- is cruisin at 80, windows down and listening to the perfect song-thinking "this is it"
                  -The Beauty in the Tragedy-
                  MECHANIC SMASH!!- (you all know you do it)
                  Got Drop?? ;-)
                  Originally posted by JinormusJ
                  But of course
                  E30s are know to be notoriously really really really ridiculously good looking

Comment

Originally posted by Nick_S View Post
                    Excuse the noob and potentially off topic question. What bulb do the low beams use? I have some old ballast from my other car and wouldn't mind getting some HID's in the E30 but not sure what bulb it uses.

On topic though, they are Ebay specials and never had an issue with them.
                    US Ellipsoids use 9006 bulbs, Euro ellipsoids use H1 bulbs.
                    2006 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4WD LBZ/Allison
                    2002 BMW M3 Alpinweiß/Black
                    1999 323i GTS2 Alpinweiß
                    1995 M3 Dakargelb/Black
                    - S50B32/S6S420G/3.91
                    1990 325is Brilliantrot/Tan
                    1989 M3 Alpinweiß/Black

Hers: 1996 Porsche 911 Turbo Black/Black
                    Hers: 1988 325iX Coupe Diamantschwartz/Black 5spd

sigpic

Comment

VVME 35W 5000k, I use them a lot and I drive on a lot of rough roads, no problems in the last few months with them, they are awesome!

Comment

Not all the same some fade .
                        I stick to Xenon.
                        LoveOfMyLife<3
                        85 325e ...

Comment

If it's quality u want u can go with any "oem" ( from current models, Nissan, Acura, etc.) the problem is that some of these ballast go any where from 100-250 ea. Bulbs can go from 80-100 a set, and most of of these items won't fit 9006 bulb base(e30) , the hi/low function ur talkin bout won't work ( unless u change the projector it self !!!)

The most economical way to go is with the ddm ones ever ones gets! Plug and play done and done !!

About bulbs being discolored, it's normal !!! On all brands , bulbs there bound to go out within two yrs. Period !!! Ur lucky if u get any more time out of them

It's just a whole lot cheaper to replace ddm ones, plus if a bulbs goes out, buy another set ! U will still have extra parts for later

Just my two Cents

Comment

Originally posted by Manzaa View Post
                            About bulbs being discolored, it's normal !!! On all brands , bulbs there bound to go out within two yrs. Period !!! Ur lucky if u get any more time out of them
                            I hope you are just referring to aftermarket bulbs b/c my jetta had a retro-fitted Audi A4 set-up and were just as bright when I installed them up until i wrecked it 3 years later.

My buddy's 2000 s2000 didn't need a bulb until last year(10 years later).

My dad's old 2002 Audi TT never needed a bulb in the 6 years he owned it.

Originally posted by Ryan...
                            It now emits a beautiful blue-ish yellow/green smoke from the exhaust?? No idea what would cause that color, but I assume its good.

Comment

Originally posted by Manzaa View Post
                              The most economical way to go is with the ddm ones ever ones gets!
                              Originally posted by Matt-B
                              hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Working...
                              X