what metalcast for red tails?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what metalcast for red tails?

im guessing its mc200 but just wanted to double check before i waste time and money. thanks

metalcast - clear paint?

Hey- is this 'metalcast' the clear-coat spray paint, used to make the lens red instead of amber? Just asking, since I get this question a lot.

Might be a good idea to use high output bulbs after spraying them to make the car more visible, and rear end damage less likely.

If you are interested, I am running a special on full sets of high output bulbs for the E28 group (mye28. com) and will offer it here as well.

Set of all 9 bulbs (2 tail, 2 each turn + reverse, 3 brake) for $27. All nickel per BMW spec; details and options at http://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?t=92593

Also, take a look at these High Performance options for early and late lights:

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=190578 (early tails)
    http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=191231 (late tails)

These options take what BMW did to a higher level, really help you be seen from behind.

Thanks, and good luck!
    Andy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
    Lighting Upgrades front and back for 2002, E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39, and more.
    Tail Light Improvements keep them off your tail.
    Headlight protection saves headlights from breakage.

Comment

Yes, that is the paint you want. But use a high quality clear coat. Cause using just the metalcast red will fade over time.

1992 BMW 325iC
      1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
      1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

I did not clear mine, but I did wet sand/ buff/ and wax them. Still bright red like the first day, it's been roughly a year. Although I might just switch back to stock..

Flickr

@michael.colby on Instagram

"All he needed was a wheel in his hand and four on the road"

Comment

Mmmmn, i did the ones on a Festiva i had and they faded within a few months. I didnt sand and buff them. But did kept them waxed.

1992 BMW 325iC
          1978 Chevrolet Monte Carlo
          1965 Chevrolet Corvair Monza 140hp

Comment

no no no what you want, if you can find it, is Testors Candy Apple Red paint. its translucent, and it is perfect. Find it at any craft shop, its about the size of a fist, very small. I did mine and my brothers tail lights with 1 can. Just do a coat on only the amber part, make it as close as possible, then just mask off the white reverse light and do a coat over the whole tail light to even it all out. I did what i just explained, and did 1 or 2 layers of clear coat on over and then just recently smoked smoked kind of heavily, its where at night they look black, but in the day they are still clearly dark red, i think its perfect. And so just painting them red will not cause anybody to rear end you, trust me. make sure you use some surface cleaner tho, and make them real nice. mask off the little black plastic lining around the light and you should be good. make sure you get the corners of the amber part, my brothers are still kinda orange lol

Comment

You guys know they make Niteshades in red now? Specifically designed for tinting tail lights.
              91 318is M50 swapped
              05 Honda Pilot

24V swap thread
              http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=302524

Comment

the metalcast red is by far the best one. use a 2 part urethane body clear to finish, sand and buff blah blah....

All-Red/MHW style Professional Tinted Tail lights
                PnP EMS, fuel injectors, wideband o2 systems

Comment

i did mine with the metalcast red and then cleared over it with upol clear in a can. sanded then buffer and it looks great. .

Comment

Working...
                  X