H1/H4 Upgrade: Driver Low Beam Loose Fit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

H1/H4 Upgrade: Driver Low Beam Loose Fit

I have extensively researched the topic of a fairly simple upgrade that is the Hella H1/H4 and found NOTHING on a fitment issue with the lights. The High Beams (Inner Positions) have no movement and fit extremely well. The Low Beams (Outer Positions) fit loosely. The Passenger side fits tighter than the Driver side, which is actually too loose for the road as it is a recipe for cracking the lens. I have swapped both identical, outer H4 lenses, but the end result is the same--loose and LOOSER. For the record, my sealed beams fit tight with no rattle at all. Any ideas?

Update to anyone having issues with this.

H1 Hella Lights have matching Hi/Lo metal notches that mimic the sealed beam Hi/Lo glass bumps. However, the H4 Hella Lights have two matching Hi/Lo metal notches but one flat bracket that will not drop into the slot made for the glass bump of the sealed beam. H1 Hella Lights fit 100% with no problem as they have the correct notch/bump match and allow no play/rattle in fitment. However, the issue CAN BE (is in my case) that the H4 wants to rattle a bit and seem loose after screwing on the retaining ring.

After pretty close inspection of the retaining rings, I noticed that the H4 rings had a bit more "stretch" on the screw phalanges. Intuitively, it made sense to give them a few grunts to bend them to be more flush. Also, I noticed that, if careful, it was possible to hold the H4 housing in a manner that locked it in place using the opposite lateral limits of the two Hi/Lo metal brackets it did have, which does work a lot better if the entire bucket is removed. ONLY when I had the lock grip on the light, had bent the screw phalanges to a more "level" position and carefully torqued the retaining ring down equally and stepwise in each of the three positions did the light finally find a secure position.

I will probably be the only guy that had an issue with this, but just in case someone else runs into trouble, maybe the above will help.
    Last edited by mathetas; 04-26-2012, 10:43 AM.

Comment

perhaps theres an issue with your buckets and retaining rings? my setup is tight as a virgin

Comment

Copy, yeah, it was just a combination of a few things I suppose, old and stretched retaining rings plus sloppily placed Hella brackets (one light's bracket was slightly different than the other and actually fit a little better). Issue is resolved, but it was definitely not the thirty minute DIY I thought it was going to be, which is the story of my tenure as an e30 owner. I must really enjoy making things harder than they need to be.

Comment

Originally posted by bmwstephen View Post
          perhaps theres an issue with your buckets and retaining rings? my setup is tight as a virgin
          /______\_o_/______\
          l{(OO)=[//][\\]=(OO)}|
          \ #___======___# /
          |__/-------------\__|

"Took me an hour to do this..."

took me like three seconds to copy/paste it- FOR SCIENCE!!

Barney Fucking Rubble

Comment

Noon on bulbs here but if the hella ellipsoids fit H1 then why use H4? Or is that one is for low and the other is for high beams? And of so which bulb is for high and which is for low?

Comment

A hella h4 low is generally cheaper/better light than an ellipsoid mainly because of the ellipsoids being old an worn out. The h4's are like a massively upgraded sealed beam low, with the extra high beam filament in it. The h1 high is a drop in replacement on both the ellipsoid bracket highbeam, and the sealed beam bracket's highbeam.

Good condition ellipsoids are well worth the money because of their cosmetics and the light output difference is negligable if they dont have burnt to fuck reflectors.
              1990 332i, 4 door
              2008 KTM 990 Superduke
              2018 Golf R, 6spd manual (Pending delivery)
              2017 Mazda CX-5 GT
              2007 Z4M Coupe - Sold to very nice people

Comment

Originally posted by Varinn View Post
                A hella h4 low is generally cheaper/better light than an ellipsoid mainly because of the ellipsoids being old an worn out. The h4's are like a massively upgraded sealed beam low, with the extra high beam filament in it. The h1 high is a drop in replacement on both the ellipsoid bracket highbeam, and the sealed beam bracket's highbeam.

Good condition ellipsoids are well worth the money because of their cosmetics and the light output difference is negligable if they dont have burnt to fuck reflectors.
                I hear you. Yeah i just installed a set of hella ellipsoids but i dont know which bulbs to replace the current ones with because the writing on the bulb is faded. Im buy an HID kit which is the main reason why im asking which bulbs im supposed to buy.

Comment

Working...
                X