Which LED bulbs for taillights?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Which LED bulbs for taillights?

I've been replacing my external lighting with LEDs bit by bit as bulbs burn out and whatnot. I just ordered a pair for the front turn signals and was thinking about which bulbs to put in the taillights?

I'd think you don't want the ones that have all of the LEDs on one surface facing out the lense, but rather you'd want one that has LEDs on the sides as well so that you have the reflector working for you.

Ultimately, I want the light to look as dispersed as possible.

Any experiences?
    Current: Brilliantrot '91 318is M20B25
    Former: '88 M3 3.2L, '91 318is 2.0L, '90 318i, '85 325e 2.8L, '84 318i 2.0L, '84 318i, '90 325is
    wamchenry@gmail.com
    insta: @simple_machines

Would you mind posting what you've used so far? E30 lights are so small and dim by modern standards. I was thinking LED turn signals and brake lights. Keep the softness of tungsten for the running lights.
    --Will

Comment

Originally posted by CarsSuck View Post
      Would you mind posting what you've used so far? E30 lights are so small and dim by modern standards. I was thinking LED turn signals and brake lights. Keep the softness of tungsten for the running lights.
      ditto

Comment

The problem is that I don't have a good camera (just my Galaxy S3) but I can sure try.

So far I have put 3W equivalent "wedge" bulbs (type 197) in the four parking lights and also in the city light slots on my Smilies. The side markers look ok, the orange looks better than the red in the rear, but the city lights look pretty sweet. The bulbs are these:

I just had a front turn fail on me this weekend so I ordered these:

Current: Brilliantrot '91 318is M20B25
        Former: '88 M3 3.2L, '91 318is 2.0L, '90 318i, '85 325e 2.8L, '84 318i 2.0L, '84 318i, '90 325is
        wamchenry@gmail.com
        insta: @simple_machines

Comment

Working...
        X