Brake lights stopped working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Brake lights stopped working

My brake lights and general rear lights recently stopped working. I have checked and replaced the fuse in the fuse box as a precaution, even though it does the fuse was not blown. It is possible that a wire in the rear may have shorted out, but I am not sure. How can I troubleshoot and fix this?

Bruce

Have you changed bulbs in the rear lights recently?
    If so, you may have put wrong bulb and created a short.

Comment

Never changed the bulbs. I did look at them after the lights started working and they appear ok. For context I went on the track and they worked and then at some point on the track they stopped. Coincidentally the tach stopped working during that session as well. Not sure if they failed at the same time. The tach works again. The previous owner added some AA batteries to power the cluster. I rotated the batteries and the tach started working again. The lights are still dead. The front lights still work though.

Comment

Still looking for help.

Bruce

Comment

The two things that come to mind for me would be a problem with the ground for the rear lights or a problem with the wiring running to the light assemblies themselves.
          Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Before I changed anything I would have checked the actual switch under the brake pedal itself. It can be adjusted if the pedal is not making contact with the button on the switch. My switch had too much room and the brake lights stopped working so I adjusted it and its fine now. You should hear a "click" sound every time you press the pedal

Part #6
            '90 325is DD, 5 spd swap-H&R springs-Euro Headlight Fully Built OBD1 M54b30. Ox Blood interior, 3.46 LSD with Z3M Diff Cover. Custom shifter, every bushing replaced.
            '86 325e- Donor car for swap/parts car
            '00 323i- BBS 197s Totalted
            '89 740 turbo Volvo- Donated

Comment

^This. I replaced ,mine last week. You can get a Durolast switch for under $10 at Autozone.
              To remove the one on your car, pull the white piece first with some long nose pliers the remove the red piece. Now you can press the clipe that are holding it in place.
              Victor
              Rides...
              E30 325i - 1990
              F30 328i - 2014 (DD)
              F25 X3 - 2016 (Family car)
              1974 - 2002 (The ruler of the stable) SOLD

Comment

Working...
              X