Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Chipped headlight glass

Hey guys,

I've had this idea floating on my mind lately..
    I have a set of chipped glass headlights and i'd really like to restore them.
    As far as polishing glass - it's not that easy, but i had this other idea that i need someone to confirm or deny.

What if i give the glass a really good wash, dry them and the just spray them with some clear coat/laquer? And then just polish the clear?
    Will that work?

I could always put some lamin-x on top of that to protect it.

Can you guys give any suggestions?

Thank you,
    Max.
    5-lug Kit | E36 & E46 Hub & Brake Adaptor for E30!
    Leave feedback about my transactions!
    sigpic

Thats all I did. A good cleaning, clear and lamin-x. They look great. Did it over 5 years ago.

I have no input on the polishing but maybe someone does. GL

Comment

Thank you for the reply.
      Good, now i will have some job for the weekend:)
      Maybe il make a DIY.

Max.
      sigpic

Comment

you can try that clear coat idea, I actually did my foglights with clear nail polish and then spray clear, really not too shabby

--Mike
        (OO=[][]=OO) For Life

Comment

Already did a spare set of headlights with clear coat. Much better actually.
          I will post some pics when i will do my current headlights :)

Max.
          sigpic

Comment

Here is a great write-up on polishing glass if you do decide to go that route.

Comment

Clear film option

Originally posted by Max399 View Post
              Hey guys, I have a set of chipped glass headlights ... I could always put some lamin-x on top of that to protect it....
              Thank you,
              Max.
              Or use XPel film, it's less money, a better fit, and thicker too. I use this, and very glad I do after a pickup backed into me, hit the headlight with his bumper- light did not break! Bent the bucket pretty badly -- I was seeing treetops on the way home that night. I straightened the bucket, MAN that XPel film is tough!

(shameless self-promotion: I sell XPel, PM or email me)
              Andy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
              Lighting Upgrades front and back for 2002, E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39, and more.
              Tail Light Improvements keep them off your tail.
              Headlight protection saves headlights from breakage.

Comment

Originally posted by Mo Brighta View Post
                Or use XPel film, it's less money, a better fit, and thicker too. I use this, and very glad I do after a pickup backed into me, hit the headlight with his bumper- light did not break! Bent the bucket pretty badly -- I was seeing treetops on the way home that night. I straightened the bucket, MAN that XPel film is tough!

(shameless self-promotion: I sell XPel, PM or email me)
                $40 vs $62?

Shop for car protection film at Lamin-x. We are your manufacturer and design source for automotive protection film and other products like headlight covers, tail light covers, and more. Order automotive films from Lamin-x.

1991 318is ---230K - DD
                1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
                so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

Insider Pricing ...

Originally posted by jrobie79 View Post
                  $40 vs $62?
                  Sorry, I didn't want to hijack the thread, I sell Xpel - 4 rounds, $27 shipped in US. I have them cut to the exact BMW headlight diameter, special order to sell on the forum. I have plenty on hand, if interested.

Fogs are special order, I can send you a piece to cut yourself, or cut from a template for $12, total still under $40 WITH shipping.

That's what I meant to say, sorry for the confusion.

I will be on the lookout for a 91 318iS, see about making my own template from the fogs so I can offer this.
                  Andy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
                  Lighting Upgrades front and back for 2002, E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39, and more.
                  Tail Light Improvements keep them off your tail.
                  Headlight protection saves headlights from breakage.

Comment

Working...
                  X