Need help troubleshooting, brake lights don't work

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help troubleshooting, brake lights don't work

My brake lights will not work, I am not too sure what it is. As well as my reverse lights. Also fuse number 10 pops everytime I trow it in reverse.

lights out?

Originally posted by Illestzack_ View Post
    My brake lights will not work, I am not too sure what it is. As well as my reverse lights. Also fuse number 10 pops everytime I trow it in reverse.
    Welcome to the forum. Your signature says this is your first post...

Preliminaries, I suppose you have tried new bulbs? I believe reverse lights and brake lights are on different fuses, sounds like two problems.

First thing is, what car? year, model, etc.

Second, try unplugging the rear lights (both sides) by taking off the covers in the trunk. Then with a new fuse, try putting it in reverse, see if it still pops the fuse. If so, look under the car for funky wiring, maybe the car hit something underneath recently, pulled off the connector or scraped the insulation or something ?

Third, Brake lights- try again with both covers off, then install one, then the other, see what happens. If it's 86 or newer, don't forget to unplug the center brake light. Also check the wires at the brake light switch.

Fourth, pull bulbs from brake and reverse light sockets, look in sockets for anything weird - compare to tails or something else that works right.

Fifth, try brake and reverse light bulbs in the turn signals, see if the bulbs are good. You have to install the bulbs, then the covers each time.

Sixth, look carefully at what has happened with the car recently, is there anything you think may have changed? Maybe someone helped change a bulb and bent a pin on the connector, maybe something in the trunk shifted and bumped the lights, maybe ???

Seventh, report back here with findings, maybe someone else has an idea.

Good luck.
    Andy says "Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
    Lighting Upgrades front and back for 2002, E3, E9, E10, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39, and more.
    Tail Light Improvements keep them off your tail.
    Headlight protection saves headlights from breakage.

Comment

Working...
    X