Smoked tails

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoked tails

Is there a write up on smoking the tail lights DIY style?

Brad

No write up. Some people red out the side marker then spray light coats of tinting spray over the whole assembly. Testors seems to be the paint of choice.

Run search and you should get all of the info you need. :up:
    2008 Audi S4 Avant

Comment

Inspar8r had an article on his site.... I completely forgot the link tho, maybe someone can jump in and post it.
      Erick Mahle | FullOpp Drift | YouTube
      EurostopUSA | Dunlop Tires | Ireland Engineering | EnthusiastApparel | Ground Control

..::Support FullOpp::..
      FullOpp Stickers for sale!
      NEW | Enthusiast Apparel T-Shirts! | NEW
      Feedback Thread

Originally posted by Mr. Anderson
      ...one of the most hardcore E30's around. :D

Comment

I did a test job on the tail lights on my Bm ( gonna replace them), and I used Tamiya spray, colour smoke (code PS-31), I just did the revese lights and the indicators. How many coats of spray depends on how dark u want it to be. Also put 2-3 clear coats on afterwards, to prevent chipping, and it give it a nice and shiny finish.

Comment

You can pull the lights off the car, then I mixed up a batch of my own paint. Basically all I did was take about 5-10 percent paint, and 90 percent reducer. Since I didnt have much paint I put about 7-8 coats on before I got them to where they are now. I shot them with a regualr paint gun. I used about 15 percent paint or so one my friend's lights and it worked much better. I wanted to make sure I didnt go too dark though. There was a huge difference over stock, and hasn't raised tempers of the old smokey yet. My car is in the members rides section somewhere, also on my www if you wanted to see how mine turned out.

jon
          Old and improved:

Comment

Is Inspar8r still in the business of selling items because i just purchased an item from him and have not yet reiceved it. :?

Oh well should have it monday or tuesday then if not i guess i will have to track him down. :roll:

Comment

Hey Jon you wanna help me smoke mine when we meet up during spring?
              Reminiscing...

Comment

My tails are drying right now. The tint spray is kind of a pain in the ass to use. It takes a long time to dry and tends to attract lots of little dust particles. This will be my third attempt at tinting them this week. Luckily I have an extra set of tails. 8)
                '91 318is
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by M42Tecknik
                  Hey Jon you wanna help me smoke mine when we meet up during spring?
                  I'll see what I can do, if we dont get it done at least, I will point some things out for you to know when you want to go about it.. I was going through some old pictures of my car and when i look at the old tails I cant believe that they used to look the way they did. Im sure the later style rear lights look a bit better than the early style with the vertical back up lights as well.

And as you can probably tell, I did my front turn signals too. Someday when I decide that its money well spent I am going to get the clear lenses because you can still see a lot of amber in them. The good thing is that when they light up at night you cant even tell they are tinted that much.
                  Old and improved:

Comment

Working...
                  X