Headlight issue.....help please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Headlight issue.....help please

I just got my car back from getting an M52 swap. While driving on a back road I went to put on my highbeams. Looked fine, didn't think twice about it. At a stop sign I realized I had very low light output on the passenger side. I got out and noticed (with highbeams on) that only my drivers side high beam and low beam were illuminated. I got back in my cat turned off high beams and got back out. This time my drivers lowbeam was on and dimly lit were both my passenger side high and low beams. Anyone have anything like this happen or know what might be causing it? I'll be looking up wiring diagrams but if anyone could chime in I'd appreciate it. Thank in advance!
    sigpic
    325e Schwartz coupe(02/85) OBDII M52B28+ZF320 swapped

A dim light suggests a weak ground. Check your fuses - should be 1, 2, 13, and 14. Also check that your lights are wired properly.. Find a book with wiring diagrams and match up the colors of each wire.

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
      A dim light suggests a weak ground. Check your fuses - should be 1, 2, 13, and 14. Also check that your lights are wired properly.. Find a book with wiring diagrams and match up the colors of each wire.
      A bad ground was what I was figuring. Just can't understand why my passenger side high beam is also coming on with high beams off. I'll check fuses and look for any wrong wiring
      sigpic

Comment

Could be your wires aren't sheathed properly anymore. They may be shorting against each other or backfeeding due to a bad ground.
        Interested in vintage cars? Ever thought about racing one? Info, photos, videos, and more can be found at www.michaelsvintageracing.com!

Elva Courier build thread here!

Comment

Originally posted by ELVA164 View Post
          Could be your wires aren't sheathed properly anymore. They may be shorting against each other or backfeeding due to a bad ground.
          Gonna trace the wire today. It's been non stop raining here and with the family in town, no room in the garage. I hope it's a simple fix.
          sigpic

Comment

Might be a bad column switch.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
              Might be a bad column switch.
              I considered that, but due to it starting after the swap went in and never having an issue before hand I doubted it. Is there a proper method of testing the switch? Pretty much an electrical noob
              sigpic

Comment

without seeing the switch:

get a multimeter and set it to continuity mode. You will want to test for continuity between ground and each of the switch's contacts

so find a wiring diagram and identify the color codes of each wire. Ground should be brown, etc. So when your head light switch is in low beam mode there will be continuity between ground and the low beam send wire etc. It's not that hard, just involves a bit of sleuthing

it's a Kenny Powers quote on wheels

Comment

Originally posted by Das Delfin View Post
                  without seeing the switch:

get a multimeter and set it to continuity mode. You will want to test for continuity between ground and each of the switch's contacts

so find a wiring diagram and identify the color codes of each wire. Ground should be brown, etc. So when your head light switch is in low beam mode there will be continuity between ground and the low beam send wire etc. It's not that hard, just involves a bit of sleuthing
                  I brought it back up to the shop that did my swap. Had some odd engine noises, so I'm getting that looked at. I mentioned the issue and how it had not started until after the swap. He figured it was just a ground issue. I'll let you all know once I get it back from the swap. Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I really need to get a better backing in electrical....
                  sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X