Repainting Chrome Inner Domes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Repainting Chrome Inner Domes

So I was trying to bake my euro hella inner lights so I can install cross hairs and reseal them. Unfortunately the chrome on the inner light dome bubbled so Instead of replacing the entire light housing, can I just respray them with chrome spray paint? I know it won’t be 100% perfect but figured it’s worth a shot?

Thoughts?
    Steve • Toronto
    1991 318is • Brillantrot
    Build Thread

I've done this on a turn signal housing for different car. It was better than nothing and worked for a turn signal, but this would in no way work well enough for headlights. Headlights need a mirror finish, not just shiny silver. Even the stock plating, once it gets old and dull, shows a significant reduction in brightness.

Comment

Originally posted by AndrewBird View Post
      I've done this on a turn signal housing for different car. It was better than nothing and worked for a turn signal, but this would in no way work well enough for headlights. Headlights need a mirror finish, not just shiny silver. Even the stock plating, once it gets old and dull, shows a significant reduction in brightness.
      This is what I thought, but figured I would ask before searching for a replacement set of Hella domes.

Thanks for the input!
      Steve • Toronto
      1991 318is • Brillantrot
      Build Thread

Comment

Chrome paint is probably going to fail. The OEM reflectors are plated plastic.

Check ebay for salvaged reflectors. Baring that, you could probably buy some Depo high beams, and salvage the reflectors from those. Use a dremel to open them up, rather than heat, so you don't damage the reflectors.

Comment

Working...
        X