Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hella and Bosch Euro Lights: Parts Interchangeable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hella and Bosch Euro Lights: Parts Interchangeable?

I'm wondering, how interchangeable are the Hella and Bosch euro smiley headlight parts? I ask because I was able to track down a set of Bosch high beam lamps for my Hella smiley set, but the mounting / adjusters are different for both on the back. I'm hoping I can find a way to use the Bosch headlights in my Hella brackets, so I don't have to find another set of Hella specific high beam lamps instead.
    Steve • Toronto
    1991 318is • Brillantrot
    Build Thread

So the Hella's use this style of removable adjusters, with the plastic cup retaining the adjuster shafts on the bottom.

But the Bosch ones has a permanent adjuster shaft connected to the light housing. See here.

Can I make the Bosch light adjusters work with the Hella plastic light brackets?
    Steve • Toronto
    1991 318is • Brillantrot
    Build Thread

Comment

Those look more likely to fit in the sealed beam buckets instead of the ellipsoid buckets.

Comment

Originally posted by PDXPeter View Post
        Those look more likely to fit in the sealed beam buckets instead of the ellipsoid buckets.
        Thats what I thought too, but that seems odd to me.
        Steve • Toronto
        1991 318is • Brillantrot
        Build Thread

Comment

Originally posted by Powling View Post
          Thats what I thought too, but that seems odd to me.
          I think I have a bosch headlamp here. I can take a pic of the bosch next to the Hella a little later.

Comment

I think I have a bosch headlamp here. I can take a pic of the bosch next to the Hella a little later.
            I have both on hand too, a Hella high beam and a Bosch high beam...I just can't figure out if the adjusters from the Hella can be used on the Bosch, and if the Bosch can be used in the plastic housings.
            Steve • Toronto
            1991 318is • Brillantrot
            Build Thread

Comment

I fitted the Bosch unit to my old sealed beam buckets easily but could not make them work easily with the ellipsoid buckets. The mounting methodologies are just so fundamentally different that they aren't really interchangeable.

Comment

I fitted the Bosch unit to my old sealed beam buckets easily but could not make them work easily with the ellipsoid buckets. The mounting methodologies are just so fundamentally different that they aren't really interchangeable.
                I'm assuming this means I need to track down a set of Hella high beams instead of the Bosch ones then.
                Steve • Toronto
                1991 318is • Brillantrot
                Build Thread

Comment

Thats what I ended up doing.

check out my headlight FS thread :D

Comment

Working...
                  X