independant fog lights (once again!)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

independant fog lights (once again!)

so i know this has been posted before; but i have done the perscribed steps and it hasn't worked. i'm hoping someone else has had the same experience...
    i also know that there are many ways this has to be done for different models, so i decided to follow one done on my exact model.
    so i followed this thread:

ok, so i linked 85 & 30 on K8 on my 1991 318is (same car) and it doesn't work for me...
    what i want: my fogs to be on with parking lights (i.e. low beams not 'on')
    what i get from following that thread: low beams on at all headlight knob positions (day lights,first stop and low beam)
    so what's the deal?
    one thought i had was that i also did the jump between the low beam relay and the high beam relay that allows both low and high beams to be on at the same time. could that be affecting what i'm trying to do?
    any help is welcome...

I wired mine to be on at all times. MEANING: I could turn on my fogs with no lights on. I've actually used this a couple times when I didn't want to be seen or to limit the amount of light my car emits. I'm invisable from the rear! :)

To do what I did, I can't remember which wires I tapped into - but essentially, for the fog light button, it completes a ground. I found the wire to ground - grounded it - and now when I turn it on, my fogs are on anytime.

Downside: they can be easily left on. But, I have forced a habit to turn them on and off with my lights all the time now.

Sorry I can't be more detailed. I use a multimeter and figure things out for the most part.

-Sean
    - Sean Hayes

Comment

i used a DIY'd relay offa my buddys 89 that worked perfect on his, when it was on my 88 my fogs were ALWAYS on...LOL, i couldnt even turn them off with a switch.
      IG: @Baye30

FRONT VALENCE IS ZENDER!!! STOP FILLING MY PM BOX PPL!!!

Comment

so just in case anyone cares, i got them to work on my m42.
        the steps in the above quoted thread are correct. but i neglected to bend down prong 85.
        after doing so, my fogs can now turn on with my parking lights! tada...
        looks pretty good, if i do say so myself

Comment

Yea, it usually does. I wired in my turn signals so they only turn on when "signaling" so now I need some city lights - city lights + fogs = sexy :)
          - Sean Hayes

Comment

Originally posted by Sean View Post
            I wired mine to be on at all times. MEANING: I could turn on my fogs with no lights on. I've actually used this a couple times when I didn't want to be seen or to limit the amount of light my car emits. I'm invisable from the rear! :)

To do what I did, I can't remember which wires I tapped into - but essentially, for the fog light button, it completes a ground. I found the wire to ground - grounded it - and now when I turn it on, my fogs are on anytime.

Downside: they can be easily left on. But, I have forced a habit to turn them on and off with my lights all the time now.

Sorry I can't be more detailed. I use a multimeter and figure things out for the most part.

-Sean
            i did the same thing to my 88, it doesn't work on my 90 thou.

Comment

Just wire the Relay box like this, its quite simple.
              take out the one relay and take out the three screws

then break the connection on the circuit board with a screw driver or a utility knife. solder a wire to the spot right next to the break you just made. in my case i used a grey wire. this connection is located directly opposite the side where the relay was removed to get the screw out in step one

Last, connect it to the parking light wire which runs through the inside of the fuse box. you can use a test light for this or just see what color wire is going into your parking light.

Comment

How do you go about opening the fuse box? I thought that damn thing couldn't be opened?
                - Sean Hayes

Comment

i've wanted to opperate my fogs independantly since i got my e30 :(
                  beware of attack squirrels

Comment

it is a matter of connecting pins 85 and 30 of the K8 relay. The fact that your low beams are on constantly is a sign that you did it wrong. Happened to me the first time I wired it and found out that I had done it the wrong way. I opened up the relay itself and soldered a wire connecting the two pins together. Worked like a charm for me and I never had any problems with it for the two years that I ran it like that.

Comment

i had that same problem the low beams would stay on all the time.. maybe ill try opening it up and solder it that way

Comment

I got mine wired up to where i can keep the fogs on with the highs but not on all the time. Couldnt figure out how to have fully independent ones easily.

Check Us out on Facebook
                        Needing a harness adapter or wiring help? Check it out: also have 24v motor mounts, E30 M3 covers and E36 ECU mounts!
                        Full Product Line Tuning
                        OBD2 Tuning Available! OBD2 E36, S54 Swap, S62 Swap, etc: tuning@MarkertMotorWorks.com Dyno Thread

Comment

Working...
                        X