"Smoked" headlights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Smoked" headlights

I bought a set of "smoked" smileys a couple years ago. I admit I dont know much about them. I cant imagine that BMW offered this from the factory. I bought them from a guy in Germany. Anyway, I was washing my car today and noticed that the coating is peeling off the lenses. So I can guess that the seller applied some film to the lights. What product do people use for this? Is it something that anyone can do or is it some special process?

Thanks

If its film than I think you are talking about lamin-x.
    Shop for car protection film at Lamin-x. We are your manufacturer and design source for automotive protection film and other products like headlight covers, tail light covers, and more. Order automotive films from Lamin-x.

simple process. just order the precut set and just peel and slap it on.
    -Frank
    1987 325is m50nv (schwarz)
    1990 325is (sterling silber)(sold)
    2001 525i

Comment

is it peeling like a film, or peeling like paint?

if its peeling like paint it sounds like it was coated with a spray tint, if its peeling like a film then see above.

either way IMHO i recommend cleaning all the old stuff off and if you want the tinted look again get some of that Lamin-x like e30 Pilot said!
      sigpic
      Evolution of My E30 M3Recent PicsSC*AR

Comment

Originally posted by kroberts View Post
        I bought a set of "smoked" smileys a couple years ago. I admit I dont know much about them. I cant imagine that BMW offered this from the factory. I bought them from a guy in Germany. Anyway, I was washing my car today and noticed that the coating is peeling off the lenses. So I can guess that the seller applied some film to the lights. What product do people use for this? Is it something that anyone can do or is it some special process?

Thanks
        Real smoked ellipsoids have dark crosshairs in the high beams and the surounds blacked out inside the low beams.

Comment

Thanks

It appears to be peeling like a paint.
          Last edited by kroberts; 09-20-2008, 05:33 PM.

Comment

Am I missing something or does that website suck?

Comment

hahaha ya it does, just type ' bmw e30 ' in the search tool to find the precuts

Comment

Shit, thanks, found it. I'm not too tech-savy.

Comment

does anyone have a picture of what the lamin-x looks like on the e30, thx

Comment

Have any pics of whats going on here?
                    Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

im new so forgive me but wtf? i get removable blackout covers on 80s camaros, but why God why would you smoke your headlights?!

Comment

Real smoked smileys have glass lenses, and are smoked on the inside, crosshairs for the highs.

Smoking your headlights is dumb, buy them smoked or leave them clear.
                        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by robspeed325i View Post
                          im new so forgive me but wtf? i get removable blackout covers on 80s camaros, but why God why would you smoke your headlights?!
                          If you follow the hella style smoking (as written up by Stuck in the DIY section I think) you do not loose light output as you do not "smoke" any of the parts through which light passes. Some people think that smoked lights look good (myself included).
                          -Will

1987 325is, 1989 325i, 1997 318i
                          Parts for Sale

Comment

Working...
                          X