Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

**UPDATE** US Ellipsoid wiring- with Pics!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

**UPDATE** US Ellipsoid wiring- with Pics!

So I'm picking up a set of US spec ellipsoids to replace my sealed beams (2 of which are now broken, so now's the time to do it). Are there any things I need to be aware of to wire them to my car? The lights are coming with a short length of the wiring, so the connectors should be intact.

**UPDATE**
    Well its all finished and functioning quite well (although the wiring looks like Dr. Frankenstein got his hands on it). Because of the wattage of the bulbs in the lamps (80w low beam, 100w high beam), I used a 6 amp diode (an 8 amp would have been better but the tech I spoke with suggested I cut the leads shorter and it should be able to handle the extra power [6.8 amps was the exact amount]), and I had to upgrade the high beam fuses from 7.5 to 20 amp.

before:

after:

before:

after:

check out ryan stewarts website. He has the procedure up there. If you have the old style 3 prong low beams, obviously you only have two wired for the ellipsoids. You need to use a volt testor to figure out which wire get power when the lights get turned on. I think the brown wire is your ground and the (blue/red?) is your low beam hot wire. The other dont worry about, just cover and get it out of the way. The high beams are simple, since there are just two wires. You will need to look at ryan's site to figure out how to 'jump' the low and high beams with the light relays though. When you put the US ellips in you may notice when its all done that the low beams will turn off when you hit the high beams. The fix for this is in those relays. You'll figure it out.

I also recommend upgrading to 9005 bulbs in the low beams. world of difference.
    Old and improved:

Comment

Working...
    X