FX35 Bixenon Retro into US Ellips

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FX35 Bixenon Retro into US Ellips

First off, let me just say that I am not doing a write up on how to do a retro in E30 headlights, so please don't PM me for one, I just dont have the time right now.

Now, onto the setup. I know this is not the ideal setup, but I had all of the parts lying around, so it's what I'm going to use until something needs replacement.

-FX35 Bi-Xenon Projectors
    -4300K Sylvania Bulbs
    -E30 Lenses
    -DDM ballasts/igniters

So, tonight, I did my first test fit with these, well, actually, just the passenger side. I wanted to check the rotation adjustment of the projector and ensure it was fairly straight. Turns out, it was pretty much spot on!

Here's the cutoff, notice the crap, stock, sealed beam low-beam on the left.

Mounted on the car.

Close up.

Rear shot.

To finish off the back of the lights, and seal them from the elements, I ended up using fiberglass. The pics you see aren't the absolute finished product, but you can get the idea. This wasn't the original plan, but I am satisfied with ow it came out, and in the end, you will never even see the back of the headlights.

Now, here are the results with the lights completely assembled and back on the car. The stock lenses did make the cutoff slightly more blurry, but it still looks pretty good considering the lenses being used. I should also mention that the spread on these is WIDE, which is great. I have seen many ellips, both Euro and US, with HID kits, and they do not even compare to the output of these. Side by side with my E90, my retro on the E30 is pretty comparable, I might even give the E30 a slight edge. Here's some pics.

These are taken about 10' from the garage, with the car on a slight, upward slope.

Lows

Lows and Fogs

Highs

And, as a bonus, here are the "custom" city lights, in the now worthless high beam housings

Here is how I made the city light "bulb holder"

-Justin

sigpic

Current: BMWless for now... '15 Grand Cherokee & '03 Mach 1

I like your works.

Comment

Killer!

Hook us up if you ever find the time :)

Comment

Originally posted by cabin View Post
        First off, let me just say that I am not doing a write up on how to do a retro in E30 headlights, so please don't PM me for one, I just dont have the time right now.

If you wrote down a quick parts list together with the photos you've already provided I imagine most of us could figure it out...well maybe not most but a few.

Comment

I'll see what I can do as far as a write up goes. With the pictures I have, it probably won't be all that great, but I guess it will be a good starting point.

The good thing about retros is that there is no one way to do it. Everybody has their own take on how to do it.
          -Justin

sigpic

Comment

Nice work man, turned out great.

How effective are the fogs (high beams)?
            turk@gutenparts.com

Originally posted by Janderson
            Properly placed zip ties will hold bridges together.

Comment

Originally posted by BrewCity11 View Post
              Nice work man, turned out great.

How effective are the fogs (high beams)?

They appear much brighter in the pics than they actually are. It is just a wedge bulb, like what is used in the sidemarkers, I am just using them as a parking light. I always liked how the city lights were on my previous E36's euro ellipsoids, so I wanted to carry that over to the E30. It looks awesome though, I love it!
              -Justin

sigpic

Comment

Clean cutoff

Fuzzy cutoff with lots of glare.

The FX35 projectors are excellent headlights but sticking them behind the DOT E30 fresnel lenses murdered your beam pattern. Oncoming traffic is going to hate you.

Comment

Very nice, clever idea.
                  1985 M10b18. 70maybewhpoffury. Over engineered S50b30 murica BBQ swap in progress.

Originally posted by DEV0 E30
                  You'd chugg this butt. I know you would. Ain't gotta' lie to kick it brostantinople.

Comment

Originally posted by cabin View Post
                    It looks awesome though, I love it!
                    It totally does. When i mention i wanted to do what you've already done here, i was more looking forward to the fogs than the actual bixenons.
                    turk@gutenparts.com

Originally posted by Janderson
                    Properly placed zip ties will hold bridges together.

Comment

sweet install but what I dont understand is that OEM headlight with projectors work just fine. The only benefit I see for switching projectors would be to have BiXenons.

Sweet install and I hope you dont take my words wrong.

Super E30 newb

Comment

Originally posted by sheefo2k View Post
                        sweet install but what I dont understand is that OEM headlight with projectors work just fine. The only benefit I see for switching projectors would be to have BiXenons.

Sweet install and I hope you dont take my words wrong.

E30 projectors are not made for HID, and most of the time the bowls are tarnished from age and have poor output. The output of these compared to an HID kit thrown into the projectors is night and day.

Originally posted by tjts1
                        The FX35 projectors are excellent headlights but sticking them behind the DOT E30 fresnel lenses murdered your beam pattern. Oncoming traffic is going to hate you.
                        Sorry I told you I didn't like your clear lenses on the other forum, but there is very little glare with this setup. I have tested it myself with someone else driving my car while I drove past it in another. Maybe sometime down the road I will do something about it, but for now I am satisfied, and bi-xenons are awesome to have.
                        -Justin

sigpic

Comment

Awesome thread! I did something similar to what you did with the high beams, except I fitted a 194 bulb into the lower part of the high beams so I still have use of them :)
                          I got a fender roller now! LMK if you need me to roll your fenders or want to rent the tool from me locally.

Paypal: vdang5@gmail.com

Delta Auto Care
                          2875-C Towerview Road
                          Herndon, VA

My Feedback Thread: Evil_Twin

Comment

This is good stuff man, a very cool project indeed. I was pleased to find out that I could install ellipsoids in my car just because I love projectors. Didn't even really think about retrofitting another projector in there until your thread.

I did something similar in my RX7 TurboII, installed Acura TSX projector units with 35w 6,000K D2S HID into the old H6054 lights for the popups. I could have used the FX35 bixenons though in the RX7 as the TSX are single low beam and I was left without highs.

In the E30 case the TSX would be perfect for the lows. You got me thinking again, I just bought a set of US Ellipsoids and I think I'll be getting some new TSX projectors to retrofit after I get bored with the stock units. Thanks for the inspiration.

Pic of my TSX retro into H6054:

'87 325e
                            sigpic

Comment

Thats cool, I actully know a guy selling FX35 lights because his was rearended and totaled. I wouldn't know how to get it all wired up though.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X