DDM HIDs vs Hella H4, I'm still confused

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DDM HIDs vs Hella H4, I'm still confused

Ok, So here's the deal. I just bought a set of US Ellips that I am going to smoke. I have read about 10 threads on HIDs on here and done some google work but I'm still confused.

Just as a premise to my questions: a couple years ago I purchased the Hella 55w H4 Low Beams with PIAA Xtreme White bulbs from BavAuto.

So here are my questions:
    1. I know that H4 bulbs are Dual Filament and H1's used by HID kits are single filament, but what exactly is the difference between HID H1s and my H4s?

2. When it comes to the US Ellips I bought, what will be a better light output, the HID H1s or my current H4s (in their Hella Beams)? Why? I've read though some threads about the cutoffs and have pics of both side by side and I can't tell the difference.

3. From what I've read I'd be buying the 55w 6k HIDs for the Ellips. The current Bulbs I received with the Ellips are 9006 55w HB4s. Does this mean I need 9006 bulbs or will the H1s work since they come with the ballasts?

4. I assume there is a significant difference between the current 9006 bulbs and HIDs, but is it worth the overall money to upgrade from my H4s?

Thanks for the help!
    stephenbrody.com

1. The H1s and H4s have a different filament placement, so you really do need H4 HIDs if you go that route. There are also articulated H4 bulbs that simulate the dual-filament H4 bulb.

2. The issue with H4 and HIDs is that the cutoff is not 100%. It is very good, but your eyes can see the bulb directly. This doesn't happen with the elips because of the way the cutoff works, so you can't 'see' the bulb unless you are below the cutoff. this 100% cutoff really saves other drivers.

3. You need 9006 HIDs. The H1 bulbs won't fit.

4. There is a huge difference. Your H4s are significantly better than the U.S. elips with the standard bulbs. I honestly don't know how the light output compares otherwise.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

If your car is an H4, then you need to buy an H4 bulb or else its wont fit. H4 has high beam and low beam together.

H1 is single beam.

Comment

Ok perfect! This confirms a lot of my suspicions, I'm gonna go ahead and buy the DDM HID Kit! Thanks again for the help!!
        stephenbrody.com

Comment

Originally posted by e30drop View Post
          If your car is an H4, then you need to buy an H4 bulb or else its wont fit. H4 has high beam and low beam together.

H1 is single beam.
          I have separate US Ellips that are 9006 as stated in my original post. the H4's are in completely different lenses. Thanks though!
          stephenbrody.com

Comment

Originally posted by gearheadE30 View Post
            Your H4s are significantly better than the U.S. elips with the standard bulbs.
            You're kidding me, right?

Comment

Originally posted by TexasTerp View Post
              I have separate US Ellips that are 9006 as stated in my original post. the H4's are in completely different lenses. Thanks though!
              No prob! :)

So this DDM HID kit, Whats so special about it?

I sell Tenon HID kits and I have been hearing about this kit.

I like the lifetime warranty they offer but how is the quality? Any pics of the colors? Different companies vary for kelvin temp.

Comment

Originally posted by Quailane View Post
                Actually he's right, I've put my H4's side by side with the Ellips Standard Bulbs and the H4's are noticeably brighter.

I like the lifetime warranty they offer but how is the quality? Any pics of the colors? Different companies vary for kelvin temp.
                To be honest I really have no clue why they are so popular. I really like the lifetime warranty but all I really know is that everyone on here highly recommends them and haven't heard a bad story yet.
                stephenbrody.com

Comment

great, I think im going to by a kit for my cabrio and try it out. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Quailane View Post
                    Every single US elip I have ever seen has been dimmer than my H4s with basic bulbs. That includes the brand new OEM set on my dad's e34, which, aside from the housing, is the same as the e30 part.

Project M42 Turbo

Comment

I don't know how much yours are but DDM's are priced good. There is a thread in here called HID pics that shows pics of the colors. My DDM's are in the mail for my euro smileys. Can't wait
                      Originally posted by Nicademus
                      My car beats off to that car. :bow:

Comment

I ended up ordering the 55w 6k Slim Ballast set from DDM, I can't wait to get them in the mail!!!
                        stephenbrody.com

Comment

I have personally seen/used/installed their h1, h3, h4, and 9005 (or is it 9006?) kits they offer.

Their build quality seems great so far. Nice lengths of well protected/insulated wiring. The ballasts themselves are Apexcone brand, just sold through DDM Tuning. From what I hear and from what I have experienced, it's good stuff. The price is GREAT from them as well.

The only thing I had to watch out for was the H3 bulbs I got in my kit had to be MINUTELY clearanced to fit in my foglight housings. Almost not worth mentioning due to the low-effort fix required.

Like the others have mentioned:
                          -watch out for the cut-off on the H4 housings... not as good as the ellipsoid housings.
                          -you can't mix bulb and housing types, they must be the same or the bulb won't fit.

GOOD LUCK! Be prepared to wait for shipment though... I waited I think over 2 weeks after they billed me to see they finally shipped (possibly due to backorder I guess).

"BMW Style 32 Poster-Child"
                          HTTP://WWW.CLAVINZERO.COM/e30-5-lug
                          **(My Guide to E36 M3/Z3 1.9L 5-lug Swap)

Comment

Working...
                          X