Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subwoofer ???

Hey guys, a stupid question.

Which way should a subwoofer face? Into the trunk, or firing into the back seat?

I've heard different answers to each. If it matters, I listen mostly to classic rock or 80's music.

Thanx

Against the seatback, firing rearwards will provide a deeper bass note, but will cause rattles.

Against the seatback, firing into the cabin won't have the same low-end, but there will be NO rattles.

I personally place sound inside the car over sound outside the car (I could care less what pedestrians can hear), so I have mine firing to the rear. Try both, can't hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal
      Try both, can't hurt.
      Try all kinds of different ways, just go with whichever sounds best from the driver's seat.

Comment

So there's not really a right/wrong way to do it, just what sounds good to you.

Okay, thanks alot guys.

Comment

ive tried it both ways, i like it faceing towards the rear better, gives a lot better note. but i geuss its just personal prefrence.
          '91 318is

Comment

well, if you have a pre fab box, theyre made to be fired rearward. but i do agree with trying what werks best. Ive always fired them rearward.
            FOKAI DA'MA'SHI'I ENSANE GRAPPING INT.

Comment

This isn't a topic of opinion. Its a topic of ignorance and misonformation.

Build a proper box.

Fire it into the cabin.

Anything else is all for show.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
              https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
                This isn't a topic of opinion. Its a topic of ignorance and misonformation.

Build a proper box.

Fire it into the cabin.

Anything else is all for show.
                Word. The box will have the greatest impact on the sound. And a 80Hz wave is longer than your car so it doesn't really make that much difference which way you point it.
                Originally posted by Gruelius
                and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

That statement sounds like ignorance to me. I have had subs that sounded better facing the rear.
                  thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by colt325e
                    That statement sounds like ignorance to me. I have had subs that sounded better facing the rear.
                    thank you.
                    Better doesn't equal louder, basshead.
                    Originally posted by Gruelius
                    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Sometimes you cant hear the difference between forward and rear facing subs. I have only tried rear in my e30. I will soon be doing a setup just like Jordan's with ported RE8.

Will
                      RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
                      Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
                      DaveCN = Old Man
                      My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
                      If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

I notice distinctly better bass quality in any car I've tried with the box facing rearwards. I've even read long techincal explanations, graphs compiled and all, of why rear facing subs against the seatback sound the best.

Meh, I won't try and change your minds.

Comment

everyone is wrong. hack up your rear shelf and install infinite baffle subs. gg. ok not really. try asking an actual technician, see what they say. hopefully it will be an unbiased answer and they won't try to sell you 7 subs in the process.
                          I retired my E30 for now...
                          E46 323i
                          David Schultz

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal
                            I notice distinctly better bass quality in any car I've tried with the box facing rearwards. I've even read long techincal explanations, graphs compiled and all, of why rear facing subs against the seatback sound the best.

Meh, I won't try and change your minds.
                            Ive read shit about that too. In the end its what way sounds better to the listener/owner of the car. No one else really matters.

That being said I have a box built to JL's specifications facings forward.

But my shitty bandpass boxes and MTX's I have before sounded good facing the rear, shitty facings forward, best facing each other.

Sold it.

Comment

its what way sounds better to the listener/owner of the car. No one else really matters.
                              EXACTLY

Comment

Working...
                              X