Need help with factory head unit wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with factory head unit wiring

I recently picked up an 87 vert with the factory head unit. When I bought the car, the previous owner says a sub was removed from the car and the headunit was never reconnected. The car has an aftermarket period correct blaupunkt 80W 4 channel amp mounted and connected (at least from what I can tell looking at the amp). The car has the factory premium sound system and stock speakers. I took a shot at putting it together based on what I could find doing a search. I was able to get the power sorted and everything works aside from sound and the antenna (kind of important parts of a sound system). The lighting, memory, dimming and all that works, just no sound/antenna. Here are some pics of the back of the unit as i have it wired up now. There is a small space for an antenna connection near the power connection but there isn't a corresponding connector that would fit there. Also, the brown connection doesn't have a place to go so i taped it for now. If anyone has suggestions I'd love to hear them. Also, isn't there supposed to be a ground that goes in that hold in the middle? It didn't have a screw/not in the hole to secure a ground and I don't see an obvious ground wire.

Also, for anyone that has a blown fuse on the back of the OEM head unit, the correct fuse is a 7A 250V 20MM x 50MM. There is literally no info I could find on this anywhere so I measured the glass fuse, then just bought a few on amazon that were 7A and the same dimensions. Once i popped the new fuse in it fired right up with the CODE screen. Luckily, I had the code and got it to work on the second attempt. The trick for doing that is to move fast. If you take your time it will beep and fail your attempt when entering the numbers.

The brown wire with 2 prongs seen below is the one I cant figure where to put. This is what i saw the first time I took the unit out
    Click image for larger version

Name:	unwired radio.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	202.4 KB
ID:	10088782

This is where I landed with my wiring. Not pictured is the fuse reinstalled but that got it turned on minus sound.

Name:	radio wired 2.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	10088783

Here's the amp wiring

Name:	amp 1.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	206.7 KB
ID:	10088784 Click image for larger version

Name:	amp 2.jpg