Crossovers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crossovers?

I have a built-in 40x4 amp into my head unit. I am using the stock premium speakers (with tweeters)

I am in the process of rewiring. Today I rewired the two rear speakers by simply running wire from the head unit to speakers. Tomorrow I was planning on doing the same for the front speakers, when I was told that I need crossovers for the tweeters. I did a bit of research and found what crossovers do, but other than that I know nothing about them. I was planning on simply connecing the tweeter wire to the wire for the speakers below them. Would this be wrong?

The stock premium system is tricky, however, the do have a built in crossover for the tweeter. If you look at the front speakers you'll notice a coil of wire wrapped around the basket and a capacitor soldered in (crossover). If you can follow the wires and such you should be able to just hook your speaker wire into the mid and it'll play the tweeter too (I think they're both 8 ohm speakers wired in parallel).
    Originally posted by Gruelius
    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Thanks, I'll try that tomorrow.

Comment

The xover keeps high frequencies out of the mid and low frequencies out of the tweeter. This results in a much cleaner sound. It lets each speaker focus on the frequencies it plays best. Technically the thing for the premium speakers that goes to the tweeter is just a "filter" because I think the mid plays all frequencies. But the xover keeps the tweeter from playing the frequencies it isnt suppose to and blowing itself up.

Will
        RIP e30 (brilliantrot '91 325i) 11/17/06 Byebye: 8/21/07
        Welcome e30 (brilliantrot '90 325is) 12/23/06
        DaveCN = Old Man
        My signature picture was taken by ME! Not by anyone else!

Originally posted by george graves
        If people keep quoting me in their sig, I'm going to burn this motherfucker down.

Comment

Working...
        X