my sub box that CLEARS the rear strut bar

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

my sub box that CLEARS the rear strut bar

first i would like to say that i am by no means as skilled as luke or dashboard monkey when it comes to wood working. if i had access to a table saw, insted of a jigsaw, to make some of the cuts cleaner it would have fit together with out having to use wood glue to fill in the gaps, but in the end it turned out pretty dam good and i am happy with the results.

if anyone is interested in building their own like mine, i can shoot you the specs for the side pieces, from there you just vary the legnth of the enclosure to fit the air space needs of your driver. my Orion DVC Cobolt asked for a ideal of 1.75 cubic feet for a sealed enclosure (i actually ended up with 1.89 cubic feet to make the driver fit the top). (i like sealed boxes for the music i listen to. i know they are less efficient than ported, but with the depth of the driver and fact that 1. i had a rear strut bar 2. the PO had already cut a hole in the rear deck for the box that he had in it when i bought it, my way worked out best for me.) i used 1 1/2 bags of dacron filler in it also.

the box is made out of 1/2" MDF to try to keep it light. (yes, i know that 3/4" is ideal, but i wanted to try to build it as lightly as i could) i ended up cutting a hole in the floor of the box below the driver to clear the magnet and sealing it to the base of the cabinate with foam tape then screwing a second piece of wood over that.

ok, now with the pics!

Last edited by der affe; 05-15-2009, 11:12 PM.
    seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

let me try that again with the pics posting this time

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

and i replaced the stock speakers with these:

5.25" lanzar drivers on the rear premium housings and the front kick panels

lanzar titanium dome tweeters in the rear deck housings

i am using the stock tweeters in the doors for now. looking for a nice silk dome tweeter that i can put behind the stock door tweeter grill.

Comment

I don't think you used enough screws... JESUS.

Looks... eh... good. Function over form, right? How's it sound?

Next step is to cover that bitch in carpet!

Comment

Oh, my, fuck...

1987 PRO-3 car /1990 325is (2.7i Concours)

Comment

Did you get any splits in the wood using screws?
            Looks good.

Comment

you got some crazy ass looking toenails. how does the box sound? are you going to remove any material from the rear shelf to get some add'l sound in the cab?

Comment

Originally posted by NitroRustlerDriver View Post
                I don't think you used enough screws... JESUS.

Looks... eh... good. Function over form, right? How's it sound?

Next step is to cover that bitch in carpet!
                yea i know that it is not the most attractive looking box, but meh. it has been 10+ years since i have screwed around with car stereo stuff so i am a little out of practice. no room to carpet it, the clearences are really close, that is why i made the cover pieces that go infront of it in the trunk. hide your sins i guess.

years ago i had a roommate that used to work at The Speakerworks, a high end audio place in Phoenix, and we used to build some crazy speaker enclosures for customers as side work at night or on the weekends. i don't have access to a router, belt sander, table saw anymore to make it a little more eye pleasing. i went over kill with the wood screws because it is 1/2" MDF insted of 3/4" & i didn't have a good way to put internal bracing in it. between the screws and the wood glue sound pressure is NOT going to make this thing come apart (that and i don't have enough power to really beat it up that bad)

it sounds really good! i might see if i can seal the driver to the rear deck opening at some point, but for now i am really happy with the outcome. i am only using the 1 alpine 5 channel amp, a little more power would be nice, but, it sounds great and loud inside the car, over the solid engine mount noise, the exhaust noise, etc. it is out enough to dround out other people's music in my car, but not way over powering outside it, so i don't broadcast it to the world. that was pretty much my goal for the system
                Last edited by der affe; 05-16-2009, 12:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by netcsk View Post
                  Did you get any splits in the wood using screws?
                  Looks good.
                  nope, i missed a few times , but i used a Dewalt counter sink bit that has a long pilot bit first so no issues with splitting the wood

Comment

looks good for a cripple.............haha j/k

it looks good, nice work!
                    -Andy

Comment

Originally posted by Jparkr View Post
                      Oh, my, fuck...
                      not looking to get my ego stroked, if i had more tool access i could have made it turn out more astetically pleasing, but sometime function over form wins out. just posted it up because no one has come up with a good solution to running a sub AND rear strut bar other than lukes 10" box. i already had a DVC 12" from the other box that was in the car and really didn't feel like buying another driver and spending the money for one of luke's boxes. (although HIS work is WAYYYYY better than mine!!!!!).

posted it up to give people on the fourm an idea for another way to do a sub AND rear strut bar. not everyone is willing to cut a hole in their rear deck, mine already had it, so i went this route. there was not enough clearence to have the driver facing the ski pass, so i went with the up firing box. it wasn't really that hard to figure out. i took some measurments, got the air space requirements for the driver, bought posterboard, transfered the measurments to the poster board, cut it out, & test fitted it in the trunk (the side pieces). when they all fit, i sat down and did the math (it has been a while, so i enlisted my dad to check my work) to get the variable of the legnth needed to achieve the air space needed, then went to work with the jigsaw. glue and screw time, then cross fingers that it would fit and my measurments were not off, hook it all up and cross them one more time that it sounds good. yea! it does! win!

next i need to make a cover/grill for the hole in the deck because it looks like shit now. i need to buy some GRAY speaker cloth, all i have is BLACK :(.

i did it all with stuff i had laying around (other than the wood and carpet) all the speakers were from part out cars (other than the driver and amp, they came with the car) even the crossovers and new speaker wire (extra from another job) were really actually free.
                      Last edited by der affe; 05-16-2009, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Holy shit you cut your toenails short! :???: Cool box though

Comment

Originally posted by cmflossin View Post
                          you got some crazy ass looking toenails. how does the box sound? are you going to remove any material from the rear shelf to get some add'l sound in the cab?

pic of the pre existing hole in the rear deck.

box sounds great. boom when i want it, good tight bass (drums ETC) when i am listening to rock, fast responce. pretty dam happy!

you like those big toes don't you? years of work boots = 2 ingrown toenails being ripped out by the DR. now they grow all funky and INTO my toe so i have to keep them short or suffer another trip to the DR and his plyers of pain! my flip flop tan offsets them well though ;).
                          Last edited by der affe; 05-16-2009, 11:23 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dashboardmonkey View Post
                            looks good for a cripple.............haha j/k

it looks good, nice work!

thanks, i try ;).
                            i was wondering though, i have 2 cans of spray on sound deadener. would it help the box at all to spray it with that either inside or out, or is it more of a wood density issue between the 1/2" and 3/4" MDF?
                            waste of time maybe?

Comment

Originally posted by cmflossin View Post
                              you got some crazy ass looking toenails.
                              qft
                              1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Working...
                              X