Alpine PDX amp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Alpine PDX amp

All of the reviews I've read seem to praise the Alpine PDX-5. I need an amp and would prefer a 5 channel to cut down on weight and clutter in the trunk. The amp is $375, about $140 more than a pair of V-Power amps of near equivalent output. Should I spring for it because I'd notice a difference in quality, or would a 4 channel plus a mono be better?

Having installed a few of these, I personally feel SQ is not up to par with todays better amps.

Even the Korean made stuff has better clarity, but the PDX are quieter.

Oh yeah...2 ohm ONLY on the sub channel. No balls at all on a 4 ohm load, and will not play (protection) on a 1 ohm.

If small is the goal, and you are not a 100% SQ guy, they aren't bad at all.

Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Good info. Would you recommend a better 5 channel? This will be used with your sub box and a 10" JL. I don't need tons 'o boom, clarity and sq take precedence.

Otherwise, I was considering a MRP-M500 for the sub, and a MRP-F450 for the remaining 4 channels. Which route should I go?

Comment

Originally posted by deansbimmer View Post
        Good info. Would you recommend a better 5 channel? This will be used with your sub box and a 10" JL. I don't need tons 'o boom, clarity and sq take precedence.

Otherwise, I was considering a MRP-M500 for the sub, and a MRP-F450 for the remaining 4 channels. Which route should I go?
        Which 10? If 2 ohm, you might wanna look at the Infinity Kappa 5, which is just coming out, but will be a great amp. The JL G6600 is an absolute winner for a Chinese amp as well, but being a 6 channel, you will need to have a 4 ohm load on the bass.

The ***/5 from JL is a absofuckinglutely marvelous 5 channel too, and the Alpine MRV-F450 is a decent 5 channel, with great crossovers.

Luke

Closing SOON!
        "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

That Kappa 5 looks really nice. The sub is a JL 10W1v2-4, so everything is 4 ohm. Its small size is a plus and I really like infinity components. The JL 5 channel is too big to mount where I want to put it, probably for the best since it looks too potent for my gear.

The Kappa 5 costs $320. It may have to be bumped to the top of the list...

Comment

Working...
          X