temp gauge reading wrong!?!!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

temp gauge reading wrong!?!!?

i removed my gauge cluster to repair the gears on my odometer and i put it back and the temp gauge is reading pass the middle. i also painted the needles could that caused a problem.?
    1990 325i BMW

If you took the needle off to paint it, did you put it back on pointing the same direction? Did you secure the nuts on the back of the temp gauge and tach?
    -Will

1987 325is, 1989 325i, 1997 318i
    Parts for Sale

Comment

oh i never knew you could take off the needles. i just painted it on the gauges i just taped it up. my gauges look crappy now. yea its all secured. o well..
      1990 325i BMW

Comment

ok i have another problem i changed that 12 teeth gear and put it all back it works but everytime the trip starts a new revolution it starts at 7 not 0 and it ends at 7 not 0. did i discalibrated it. sorry if it sounds confusing
        1990 325i BMW

Comment

Like you said, the trip is just out of sync with the main odometer. Its been a while for me to remember exactly but you should be able to open the odometer casing, press/engage the trip so it zeros, disengage the small gear and manually spin the odometer via the other gears until it reaches an X.0, then re-engage the small gear. Then test it out by manually spining the odometer gear and engage the trip and verify the sync. If it is still out of sync then try the process again or some other combination. I had the same issue and it took me a few tries to get it right.
          sigpic.

Comment

Working...
          X