Wedge box vs Rectangular Box

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wedge box vs Rectangular Box

What are the disadvantages/advantages of the wedge box?

I want to maximize the space in the trunk so that it can still be usable and I feel that the wedge box is the best option, however I'm also interested in getting good sound!!
    IG: deniso_nsi Leave me feedback here

Maximizing space vs sound is the difference.
    85 Toyota pickup.
    85 325e sedan daily driver.
    Various s13 bits for sale. Also a complete stroker kit to be listed soon.
    DriftSTL.com driftpirates.com

Comment

Originally posted by thundering02 View Post
      Maximizing space vs sound is the difference.
      thank you for a rather brief explanation. what i want to know is can i still build a wedge box and get good sound? is it that much a difference?

Comment

I believe that Luke builds wedge boxes, and everyone raves about the awesome sound. Isn't it just a matter of volume in the box, not about the shape?
        Hemingway said it best. “There are only three sports: bullfighting, motor racing, and mountaineering; all the rest are merely games.”

Help a brother out, buy your detailing products here...

Comment

this is what im thinking, im having a bitch of timing figuring out what would be the optimal dimensions

Comment

Punching in for the wedge shape 2:

37 Width
            10 H1
            4 H2
            15 Depth
            Thickness 3/4

Yields a volume of about 1.525 cubic ft, I have a 12" Treo TSi Sub and according to the manufacturers PDF:

I need a 1.5 cubic ft net, 12in sq vent and it needs to 14.5" long.

I think I fall into spec based on those measurements right?

Comment

Wedge boxes work just fine. It's not JUST about the volume, but the shape it'd be for the kind of box you're talking about works just fine. From my personal experience, take the manufacturer's dimension minimums with a grain of salt. We had a sub requiring 1.3 ft^3 and built a box 1.3 ft^3. Not so good. Built another ~2.3 ft^3 and it sounded great. Maybe different with your manufacturer, but there's my two cents.

Comment

Material and shape goes a long way in how the speaker sounds. my old 17 inch equilateral triangle box (35 inches long) housed 2 12 inch subs that put out more decibels and quality sound than the two separate q-logic boxes that I have them in now could ever dream of with more than double the power. the triangle was 3/4 plywood. the q's are approx 3/4 mdf. and the q's are almost perfect for what the manufacturer specified and the triangle box was bigger. (doesn't always mean bigger is better though) The more solid the wood the better its going to sound. I have yet to play with the sound characteristics of the BMW so I am uncertain the reflective nature of the trunks, but hatches yeah the triangle box will live on in history.
                85 Toyota pickup.
                85 325e sedan daily driver.
                Various s13 bits for sale. Also a complete stroker kit to be listed soon.
                DriftSTL.com driftpirates.com

Comment

are you running a rear strut bar?
                  you may need to do something like i did then.
                  it is funky looking but sounds great, you will however need to cut a hole in your deck.
                  how are your wood working skills?

lukes boxes are great if you are looking to buy a premade box that is taylored to your car

if you are doing a sealed box dacron or pillow fill will also get you deeper base

Last edited by der affe; 06-11-2009, 12:01 AM.
                  seien Sie größer, als Sie erscheinen

Your signature picture has been removed since it contained the Photobucket "upgrade your account" image.

Comment

Originally posted by Kerrath View Post
                    Wedge boxes work just fine. It's not JUST about the volume, but the shape it'd be for the kind of box you're talking about works just fine. From my personal experience, take the manufacturer's dimension minimums with a grain of salt. We had a sub requiring 1.3 ft^3 and built a box 1.3 ft^3. Not so good. Built another ~2.3 ft^3 and it sounded great. Maybe different with your manufacturer, but there's my two cents.
                    I was actually thinking about increasing it slightly as well, however I may contact Treo to see what they really recommend.

Thank you!

Originally posted by thundering02 View Post
                    Material and shape goes a long way in how the speaker sounds. my old 17 inch equilateral triangle box (35 inches long) housed 2 12 inch subs that put out more decibels and quality sound than the two separate q-logic boxes that I have them in now could ever dream of with more than double the power. the triangle was 3/4 plywood. the q's are approx 3/4 mdf. and the q's are almost perfect for what the manufacturer specified and the triangle box was bigger. (doesn't always mean bigger is better though) The more solid the wood the better its going to sound. I have yet to play with the sound characteristics of the BMW so I am uncertain the reflective nature of the trunks, but hatches yeah the triangle box will live on in history.
                    This is good to know as well, thank you!

Originally posted by der affe View Post
                    are you running a rear strut bar?
                    you may need to do something like i did then.
                    it is funky looking but sounds great, you will however need to cut a hole in your deck.
                    how are your wood working skills?

lukes boxes are great if you are looking to buy a premade box that is taylored to your car

if you are doing a sealed box dacron or pillow fill will also get you deeper base

http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=138723
                    I'm actually not running a rear strut bar so I don't really need to worry about designing it that way.

Comment

Just wanted to show the box that my friend and I built over the weekend :)

Dimensions:

36.5" W
                      15" H
                      6" Top Depth
                      12" Bottom Depth
                      3/4" MDF used.

I will be adding a 3x4 sometime in the future.

I'll try to get some pics of the way it sits in the trunk.

Comment

Working...
                      X