Fixing my stock stereo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fixing my stock stereo

My commute in my 91 318is is so short I hardly use my stereo. Although it would be nice to one day have a serious setup, I really just want to listen to the radio at normal volumes. That said, my stock HU volume control is not good and only the rear speakers work and not that well. Also, whenever it rains or is humid, I get a high-pitch squeal coming out the rears and can't listen to the radio. Is there anyway to fix these problems or do I just need all new equipment? I'm sure you can tell by this post that I'm as familiar with stereo installation as I am nuclear engineering.
    sigpic

I would just buy another stock HU to try to fix the volume problem. For the squeal, i would check the ground.
    sigpic

Comment

Is the car early or late?

Is it premium sound or standard?

Your complaint sounds to me like a bad stock amp more than a bad radio, and I bet your antenna grommet is rotted, too, causing a leak on the stock amp.

Luke

Closing SOON!
      "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

Dunno about the problem's cause, but if it helps I'll send you my old factory premium sound amp and speakers for the cost of shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by deansbimmer View Post
          Dunno about the problem's cause, but if it helps I'll send you my old factory premium sound amp and speakers for the cost of shipping.
          Jump all over that!

If he doesn't want them, I do!

Luke

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Bump for the dead for my solution:

I had this issue. My radio works fine, except after a rain or humid mornings it would begin to squeal at high volume. After learning the stock 1991 318i headunits utilizes a trunk mounted amplifier, I removed the drivers taillight and trunk liner and found the antenna motor and amplifier. The antenna grommet was leaking and allowing moisture on the amplifier. I sealed the grommet with black silicone and haven't had the issue again.

For reference:
            Stock 1991 stereo:

M52B28 OBD1 - G240 - S4.10
            Stuff for Sale: 24v swap parts

Comment

Get a new grommet, they are like $8

Closing SOON!

Comment

Working...
              X