Premium front speaker and tweeter wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Premium front speaker and tweeter wiring

I have a '91 318is without premium sound. I am attempting to upgrade to premium front speakers and tweeters, but cannot figure out the wiring at the kick panel. Below is a picture of what I am dealing with. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

grey wire/yellow stripe is negative. grey wire/ green stripe is positive for the tweetwer if i remember correctly. theres several ways to go at it solder the grey/green wire on on the other in of the resistor and put the other wire on the other end. or just tap into the speaker wires. negative to negative tweeter wire. and for the positive side of the tweeter tap into the positive speaker wire blue/red leave a lead and put a bass blocker (search ebay bass blocker, you can get the for like two bucks) on it, and run a wire from that to the positive tweeter wire and your done.

Comment

I am about to do this too... It was my understanding that the +/- from the head /amp unit goes into one side of the 5 1/4" the other side of the speaker is the +/- output to the tweeter.

Comment

Okay, so my 5 1/4 stock premiums arrived today in the mail and I am a little confused as well...I have searched (possibly ineffectively) and can't seem to find a specific answer to this..which side of the speaker is the input and which is the output (to tweeter?) I am using new speaker wire from the amp and the stock wire from the 5 1/4 to the tweeter. I am guessing that the side with the capacitor (or whatever that thing is) goes to the tweeter. There is only one post on the other side that is not soldered is this the +? I have read somewhere that these used a common ground,

Sorry to hijack your thread OP but I think we are trying to do the same thing......

Comment

Okay, I think I have this figured out...the + from the amp goes to the post that has the coil and the cap soldered to it...go through the cap to the other post, this is the + going to the tweet. The + for the woofer goes through the coil and is already connected to the woofer. The ground is for both woofer and tweet and is the small post on the opposite side next to the woofer + this is where you get the three wire setup. Am I on the right track?? Somebody chime in here.....

Comment

I'm having the same problem converting standard to premium sound (in my 91 318is, no less :p).

- On the rear speakers its plug & play (apparently), since the tweet is already wired to the mid

- On the front, the mids work fine, but I have no sound from the tweeters. My car already had tweeter wiring in the doors and what I thought were the necessary connections to the HU/amp/ground/whatever. Luckily I have the car that the premium speakers came from (also a 91).

Original (premium):

My car (standard):

Anyone have any ideas?
            M119 M42 M62 S52 S62

Comment

Are you trying to do the stock amp, too?

Closing SOON!
              "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

No. I have an aftermarket HU, so I'd rather run everything to it & not bring over the amp (although I can if necessary).
                M119 M42 M62 S52 S62

Comment

Try messing with the ground..it looks like you have the + right...

Comment

So if you plan on running off the deck, that diagram is correct...the second one that says "FAIL" on it.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

(I plan on upgrading my standard system to the premium stereo system soon. I'm just waiting for Joe from Autobahn Sport to ship it out)

As I was browsing eBay for premium speakers I found this picture of the speakers with cut wires still left on.
                      Hopefully this helps you out.
                      1989 BMW 325ix

Comment

thanks for the help guys. i decided to button everything up anyway even though the front tweeters aren't working yet. I'll probably upgrade the HU before too long and recheck everything then.
                        M119 M42 M62 S52 S62

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                          So if you plan on running off the deck, that diagram is correct...the second one that says "FAIL" on it.
                          I just noticed something on the diagrams... do you see how the + and - are switched (small and medium connections on the mid)? could that be the reason its not working? although if that were the case I would think the mids wouldn't work either...
                          M119 M42 M62 S52 S62

Comment

Yeah, IIRC, the 3 connections are small (1/8") is ground, medium is out to the tweeter, then the larger one is input...you can look at the crossover inputs and tell what is what on the mid itself.

I just do it, I can't remember shit.

I suppose I could walk out to my shop and check...I will later, and post back up.

Closing SOON!

Comment

yeah let me know what you find. I'm thinking I just need to switch gray/blue and blue/red into the mid, but confirming this before trying it would be preferred. :mrgreen: thanks for your help!
                              M119 M42 M62 S52 S62

Comment

Working...
                              X