cigarette lighter is crappy.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

cigarette lighter is crappy.

hey fellas. trying to get my car ready for a trip next month. anyhow, im planning on getting a griffin ipod adapter, to play my phone and charge it and whatnot. anyhow, my cigarette lighter has a crappy ass connection. when i plug my phone charger in, the thing moves around really easily, which wouldnt be a problem. but it looses its connection if you look at it funny... i was on pelican parts looking for a new unit, but i cant seem to find it. i'd like to replace the entire unit if at all possible. i just need some help finding exactly what i need.

from searching, i tried to bend out the prongs so that i get a better connection, but it didnt work out like i had hoped. anyhow, any help would be GREATLY appreciated. thanks guys.

-Dane
    diving board division, bishez.

Get a cigarette lighter socket and "hardwire" it in.

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

is that what the technical term is? im having a hard time finding it. lol, this is what i need.

thanks.

-Dane

Comment

durr, i found one on bav auto. "socket" was the word i was looking for, thanks!

this can be locked. thank you.

-Dane

Comment

Do NOT buy a vehicle specific one, especially a European one.

Go to radio shack, they should have a generic "power port" type, not intended for cigarette lighter use.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

when mine was loose and not working prooperly, i pulled the fuse for the lighter socket... stuck a flat head in the hole and bent the 2 tabs in side the hole inward just slightly... after that my lighter got red hot, and when i stuck my phone charger in it stayed nice and firm in there... give it a try befor buying a new one.
            1988 e30 alpine white vert 5speed
            1987 e30 325 eta
            1983 e28 533
            2001 x5 4.4l
            1997 e36 M3 Alpine white 5speed
            1991 Jeep XJ I6 4.0

Comment

I just can't stand having shit tons of wire roaming freely in my car...so I bury that crap and hide the connectors.

Closing SOON!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                Do NOT buy a vehicle specific one, especially a European one.

Go to radio shack, they should have a generic "power port" type, not intended for cigarette lighter use.
                But what if I want to retain the ability to 'light one up'? Then again, I also keep a lighter in the car at all times. You never know when someone is going to toss you one of Castro's finest!

StereoInstaller, is the generic Radio Shack power port esy to wire up?

Comment

Originally posted by mitch500 View Post
                  when mine was loose and not working prooperly, i pulled the fuse for the lighter socket... stuck a flat head in the hole and bent the 2 tabs in side the hole inward just slightly... after that my lighter got red hot, and when i stuck my phone charger in it stayed nice and firm in there... give it a try befor buying a new one.
                  whats the fuse number for the sig lighter? mine doesnt work :(
                  Originally posted by e30e
                  lose the old man bmwcca badge.

Comment

Originally posted by mitch500 View Post
                    Exactly what I did and mine works perfectly now. I used to have the same problem when I was charging my phone but now it's a nice and firm connection.

Matt
                    Matt

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy
                    I pack my CD player with asbestos. Those mother fuckers pay dearly for stealing my shit.
                    Originally posted by kronus
                    try whacking parts of the motor with a wrench while yelling "YOU WANT SUMMA DIS? HUH?"
                    Originally posted by chadthestampede
                    This is like a reverse build thread; it starts out nice and gets shitty.

Comment

I did this over the weekend:

Added an FM modulator and iPod charging wire to my stock radio. Sound quality is perfectly adequate (it is a 22 year old convertible, so symphony-hall sound was not what I was attempting).

Very easy to do. iPod wire is tucked under the center console and pops up so that my Nano rests in the skinny cubby next to the e-brake. I can scroll thru songs without taking my eyes off the road.

Total investment: about $30 and 2 hours (I am a slow worker).
                      Mark
                      88 325ic
                      03 325i

Comment

I have used 2004 Jetta wagon rear (in the cargo area) power sockets before. They come with a spring loaded cover that says 12V.

John
                        The Revolution will not be televised.

Comment

whats the fuse number >.<
                          Originally posted by e30e
                          lose the old man bmwcca badge.

Comment

Originally posted by bimmer_E30 View Post
                            whats the fuse number >.<
                            holy crap search it or look in the bentley. jesus christ you impatient little waffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffleswaffles.

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
                            i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
                            Originally posted by slammin.e28
                            Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

Working...
                            X