Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Homemade satellite receiver mount....crappy pics inside!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Homemade satellite receiver mount....crappy pics inside!!

Unemployment is a bitch, but it sure allows for some quality time with the vehicles. Today I decided to see if I could get rid of the annoying bulky suction cup mount my Starmate Replay came with. I found a scrap of metal from god-knows-where that was the right width and seemed stiff enough to hold the receiver where I wanted it to go. It may look ghetto, but keep in mind that I really only have mechanics and homeowner-type tools.

Here's what I documented with my crappy iPhone camera because I didn't want to get my Nikon all dirty.

I hardwired power off the cig lighter and ran the antenna wire under the carpet. I cut off the 3.5mm plug off my hardwired aux input and soldered a nice receptacle on it.

Next, I drilled some holes and bent the bracket to the proper angle. I don't have a drill press, or a workbench....so the holes aren't perfect.

Test fitting the holes to the receiver bracket

One hole was a little off, so I Dremeled it using my trusty bench vise on my recycled workbench

Test fitting in the car. I trimmed that bit of extra off as well.

I wanted it to blend in with the interior as much as possible. This was a job for Plasti Dip!

Oh, did I mention that my garage has a custom-built spray booth?

Drilled my ashtray frame for the aux input.

Paint dry and everything installed!!

Yeah, I know I need a new shift knob and boot. I need to do a little more work hiding wires and I'll need to hide the ground loop isolator that my sat receiver needs, but overall I'm pleased with the result. Between this and replacing all the gaskets in my oil filter housing (no more oil leak!!), it was a productive week.
Working...
X