Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hirschmann mechanism repairable? Get the “budget” Hirschmann replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hirschmann mechanism repairable? Get the “budget” Hirschmann replacement?

I’ve got the original Hirschmann antenna mechanism and a new mast. The old mast would not go up-down the full way, and plastic seal etc were broken. The new problem is that the replacement mast will not feed into the unit properly. I’m using the radio power on/off to let the mechanism draw the toothed rope down in. The motor is still whirring away when I turn off power, but the mechanism will not grab the cable. It acts like the teeth on the gear wheel are not grabbing the toothed cable, and something is resisting the cable going in. Even though the teeth on the mast obviously can face only one way (either front or rear, can’t recall without looking at the car right now), I’ve tried multiple orientations just in case. If I push firmly, the rope will feed in with a lot of resistance, but not wind down (either it’s somehow getting misdirected or is shoving by the toothed wheel without engaging in it. Again, I’ve tried more than one direction for the teeth. And I am feeding in enough rope for the mechanism to be able to grab the rope.

Should I try something else – is there some other trick to try first (can’t think what), or should I open the unit up and diagnose.

And if, say, the gear wheel is busted, is it or other likely part replaceable anyway?

If I do open the unit up, is there some part (e.g. plastic clip etc.) that I need to be careful not to break?

And if the mechanism is not worth repairing, are the $160 Hirschmann OEM style replacements really worth the extra cost over the cheaper less beefy looking $60 Hirschmann “budget” replacements (a.k.a. budget model part H2030B or H2040 at BavAuto, or 921-738-106-M50 at Pelican)?

What is the consensus, if any on the cheaper units - do these so-called budget models not last very long?

Are the expensive units cheaper anywhere else?

Was the failure on mine a fluke, and is a recycled (wrecker) part likely to be reliable?

Yes there are other options, including using my defroster as an antenna (not accpetable), or going with an e36, or Z3 or M3 style or stubby mast etc., even m3 rooftop, but for the time being, I think I want the original style of mast, and I already have the new mast for the OEM style unit purchased.

Thanks in advance for any constructive input.

last time i replaced a mast for an antenna, i had to pull it apart to get everything to line up right when feeding the mast cable. that was some other car so I dont know about ours and this was about 2-3 years ago i think.

only suggestion i have is find a junkyard with one and take that one apart and not be afraid to break anything.

Comment

I replaced mine a couple of months ago, and ditto, it didn't work following the instructions that came with the replacement mast. Ended taking it completely apart to get it to coil right. It also didn't work all that great the first day until the "rope" got used to being coiled up. Worked great after it sat overnight fully retracted.
      '88 M3
      '87 325is #55 Pro3
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the advice Tom & pirate. I'll post results when I get a chance to work on the car, likely over Christmas. Seems like some family crisis pops up during every break in the near-endless rain and snow...

Comment

Broken drive belt in antenna mechanism

It’s been a long while, but I finally opened up the Hirschmann unit. Popping it open was easy. Inside, there is a toothed drive belt driving a worm gear on the antenna winder unit. The worm gear mechanism prevents the nylon “toothed rope” from being shoved in, as was the case when I tried to install the new antenna, and explains why the old one was hard to pull out. Hopefully I didn’t break anything when I was pulling out the old rope.

Anyway, the drive belt is broken. Now, how to get a new one?

It is a trapezoidal toothed belt about 6mm wide by ~122mm long, with 60 teeth. Pitch is ~2mm, and height of teeth is 0.5mm, total height (thickness) of belt is ~1mm. Markings are simply “Pirelli” and “E9”.

I got no useful hits from googleing, but the following options from McMaster Carr might work:
          Form - Belts
          Type - Timing Belts
          Timing Belt Type - Single-Sided with Trapezoidal Teeth
          Number of Teeth - 60
          Outer Circle - 4.8"
          Belt Width - 1/4"
          Timing Belt Series - MXL Series
          Pitch .08"
          Color Black
          Trade Size Material Cord Material Each
          48MXL Neoprene Fiberglass 7887K73 $3.01
          60MXL Urethane Kevlar 1679K66 $2.43

Would this kind of thing be readily available at an electronics store or somewhere else convenient? I can mail order from McMasterCarr, but it would be nice not to wait, especialy if I end up finding out that it does not fit...
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Black_E30; 02-25-2010, 02:46 PM. Reason: Updated McMaster-Carr pt no.s for 1/4" belts

Comment

it doesnt seem like something that would be at your local electronics store or anything. maybe go to a junkyard and get a few. or better yet a whole mechanism, just in case.

Comment

Got a new drive belt for Hirschmann antenna motor (aka toothed belt, aka timing belt)

I ordered both of the drive belts identified above from McMaster-Carr last week, for $16 including delivery. They arrived today, in a ridiculously large cardboard box.

Drum role please: ..............Ta-da – either one would work!

I went whole hog and installed the more expensive one - nothing but the best for my ride… Finished cleaning up the mechanism, installed the replacement mast and reinstalled the unit. Like Bimmerpirate found, it is easier to get everything to line up right when feeding the mast cable if the unit is opened up, especially if the replacement mast cable does not have a tapered end.

All works fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Black_E30 View Post
                It’s been a long while, but I finally opened up the Hirschmann unit. Popping it open was easy. Inside, there is a toothed drive belt driving a worm gear on the antenna winder unit. The worm gear mechanism prevents the nylon “toothed rope” from being shoved in, as was the case when I tried to install the new antenna, and explains why the old one was hard to pull out. Hopefully I didn’t break anything when I was pulling out the old rope.

Anyway, the drive belt is broken. Now, how to get a new one?

It is a trapezoidal toothed belt about 6mm wide by ~122mm long, with 60 teeth. Pitch is ~2mm, and height of teeth is 0.5mm, total height (thickness) of belt is ~1mm. Markings are simply “Pirelli” and “E9”.

I got no useful hits from googleing, but the following options from McMaster Carr might work:
                Form - Belts
                Type - Timing Belts
                Timing Belt Type - Single-Sided with Trapezoidal Teeth
                Number of Teeth - 60
                Outer Circle - 4.8"
                Belt Width - 1/4"
                Timing Belt Series - MXL Series
                Pitch .08"
                Color Black
                Trade Size Material Cord Material Each
                48MXL Neoprene Fiberglass 7887K73 $3.01
                60MXL Urethane Kevlar 1679K66 $2.43

Would this kind of thing be readily available at an electronics store or somewhere else convenient? I can mail order from McMasterCarr, but it would be nice not to wait, especially if I end up finding out that it does not fit...

Thank you for your very detailed and informative posting.

I have exactly the same problem with my power antenna HIRSCHMANN
                AUTA 6000EL and I will order the same belt drive from McMasterCarr.
                I just hope this Hirschmann model I have in my 1984 Mercedes 300DTurbo is the same model you have. The picture you posted looks very similar to my unit.

Okgolti

Comment

Working...
                X