Boosting car for every start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Boosting car for every start

First off I'd like to introduce myself. My name is Jaret, I've been lurking the forums on and off for about a year after I purchased my first E30. I fell in love with the cars ever since and am now on my second '89 IS.

Just got the car about a month and a half ago and am now having problems with the battery/alt./voltage regulator. Not quite sure which it is so I'd like any heads up as of where to check first.

Things to be mentioned:

1. Head unit is not connected and there is an amp hookup by the battery that is also disconnected. Car also has one of those viper alarm/remote start systems.

2. Blower fan works on and off, usually jiggle the fuse and it turns on

3. All lights dim slightly and idle drops ever so slightly when anything 'power' is used (window switches, etc.)

Ran a test on the battery and alt. and was told that it could be the voltage regulator. I understand that the part is pretty cheap but was wondering if there was any way I could find out for sure before I started removing the alternator and replacing the battery. I need the car to get to work for the rest of the week and have been jumping it for a couple of days now and would rather not blow my battery. Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
    Last edited by sgt. pepper; 12-01-2009, 11:45 AM.

Took out the voltage regulator and it seems to be in good condition, took pictures just in case someone had something else to say about it:

Comment

checked fuses and now lost #18 for the aux cooling fan HI, DAMNIT!

Comment

update:
        replaced fuse 18

been charging the battery and tried to turn the car on, everything electrical flashes on and off 4-5 times after I turn the ignition and then shuts off.

what's going on?

Comment

Dirty connections and or dirty grounds. Clean the heck out of the terminals. Have you had the battery checked by a battery shop? A bad battery will kill a good alternator. A bad diode in the alternator can cause the alternator light to flash.

John
          The Revolution will not be televised.

Comment

There always will be a brain box for the alarm that you can try to unplug and see whether it does anything. You might have to jump your started through the diagnostic port in case your alarm is wired through your ignition (probably is).
            '96 328is
            '97 m3
            '04 zhp

Comment

Swapped the battery out and it's been fine since!

Comment

yipee!
                [/url]

Team USA Wrestling 67KG
                Team USA Wrestling Strength And Conditioning Coach

Comment

Working...
                X