Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Luke? Ford Amp Bypass (Not E30)

Hey,

I have a 98 Ford contour as a winter beater and it has the "Premium" stereo with that stupid amp behind the glovebox, which hinders my installing a new headunit. I bought a bypass cable and it's the wrong one apparently. There is 2 cables going into the amp, a smaller square one and a bigger rectangle. How do I get rid of the amp so I can install this HU?

I'm hoping Luke will know.

Every search I do on the internet brings up a ford explorer or something with a different amp.

Thanks

Sam
    1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Sam, you have to do some actual work. Sorry, bub. Shoulda bought a civic!

Grab that larger harness off the amp, extend the wires over to the deck and hardwire it.

Do you need color codes? Have you checked www.the12volt.com ?

LMK if that works.

Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

I'm confused on how it works. Is there only 1 plug on this thing for the speakers (deck to amp/ out from amp?
      I don't get where the wires go in to the amp and where they go out?

I was hoping I could just get a harness because I might want to sell the car eventually.

The12volt has the diagrams I got off ShopKey but Shopkey also shows 2 connectors. I'll give it another shot today.

I got this

Last edited by SamE30e; 12-04-2009, 07:33 AM.
      1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

On the back of that miserable ford pile of shit deck, there are 2 plugs. 1 is a little 8 pin attached to a silver cable. That takes audio to the amp, and generally has the same kind of plug at the amp.

Have you not dropped the glovebox to look at the amp?

Coming out of the gutless wonder stock amp, there are 8 speaker wires, all as shown in your diagram.

What is there to be confused about?

If ya wanna return the car to stock at some later point don't fuck your wiring up! make sure you cut your harness at some logical place so you can splice it together, back to stock, later.

I say 3" or so from the plug is pretty safe.

We aren't talking any serious magic here man, it is only 8 wires.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Yea, I figured it out. I thought that 8 pin shit plug was carrying power and such to the amp.

I wired it all up and it works now. Free brand new JVC deck with BT and Ipod control ftw!

My rear left speaker is fux0rd though. oh well.
          1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Originally posted by SamE30e View Post
            Yea, I figured it out. I thought that 8 pin shit plug was carrying power and such to the amp.

I wired it all up and it works now. Free brand new JVC deck with BT and Ipod control ftw!

My rear left speaker is fux0rd though. oh well.

Closing SOON!

Comment

haha, true! I'm going to throw the sub and amp from my E30 in it for now. Lacking in the bass.
              1985 325e 2.8 Turbo VEMS

Comment

Working...
              X