Enclosure design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enclosure design

Alright, I got bored this morning and since I picked up my Amp yesterday (500/1) I figured it would probably be good to start designing an enclosure. Does anyone have a program that makes this quick and easy? Shareware perhaps?

Here is something I came up with quickly, don't pay attention to the actual size of things as these will change. It is pretty much going off Jordan's idea of sealing the enclosure to the cabin via the ski hole with a large amount of weatherstripping. I have two 12w3's to fit in so I modified the original by aiming both the subs at a common area which would be sealed to the ski hole.

LMK what you think of this and if you have or know of any programs to make the calculations easier. Granted I took calculus but that doesn't mean I want to use it lol

-Dan

Horrible box design.

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Well, not much more I could do. Given the space I have to work with...

What would you suggest? And no, I'm not getting rid of one of the subs.

Any ideas?

Comment

that setup (subs firing into each other) is shit. They cancel each other out.

Comment

Why don't you just cut more of the sheetmetal away and mount them side by side? you could reinforce the new opening, i foget who did this with the fold down rear seat.

matt

Comment

Would this be any better?

-Dan

Comment

No.

Pay someone that knows what they are doing to build a box.

Comment

:shock: Or at least knows how to calculate box volume. Like... length x width x height?

All the optimal box tuning designs are included on the spec sheet of any reasonable driver, you just have to make it fit the space available.

BTW, for those who asked elsewhere... the angle of the trunk floor to the seatback panel is 68-1/2 degrees, or 22-1/2 from vertical.
                Phil Griffin
                Toronto, Canada
                '86 325es
                85 VW GTI VR6

Comment

If you want it firing through the ski bag hole just use one sub, if you want 2 subs just fire them backwards into the trunk.

Comment

Looks like the JL Audio prefab 2-12W3v2 H.O. to me...

I don't know why they would make it if the waves caused phase cancellation. They are supposed to increase the output. Go check those boxes out at a JL dealer and see what you think.
                    I retired my E30 for now...
                    E46 323i
                    David Schultz

Comment

Re: Enclosure design

Originally posted by Dirtsquirt
                      don't pay attention to the actual size of things as these will change.

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
                        No.

...and dont make the subs face forward.
                        '91 318is

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
                          No.

Comment

Bass travels in the opposite direction (the rear of the subs)....keep that in mind when you are considering sub placement in your trunk.

Comment

Originally posted by BMWE30
                              Bass travels in the opposite direction (the rear of the subs)....keep that in mind when you are considering sub placement in your trunk.
                              You're trying to tell us that the soundwaves radiate from the rear of the cone?
                              Originally posted by Gruelius
                              and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

Working...
                              X