sub behind ski hole...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sub behind ski hole...

i dont have a rear seat with a handrest to expose the sub. ive done some looking around locally and online and locally i havnt found anything, but online the ones i found were a bit out of my budget (with shipping included). so i was wondering if it would be a good idea to just scrape out the foam thast basically muffling the sub and let that area be free of foam. yet still keep the seat looking the same. meaning, i wouldnt cut the leather... just take make it so theres a hole in the shape of a box when you look at it from behind.

i realize afterwords someone could easily tear or ruin the leather by putting for there.. but no one really sits in the back of my car. and its not that hard to warn people. but other then weakening the area... is this something worth trying? have others tried it? i would imagine it would make an audible difference.
    - 325ix - 5spd - diamond black - 1988 -

Just leave the seat how it is, it won't make any difference.
    Originally posted by Gruelius
    and i do not know what bugg brakes are.

Comment

I put my 12" sub firing through the ski hole. The bass is adequate. I recent purchased a black vinyl rear seat with the arm rest on eBay for $100. Is $100 out of your budget?

Mine should arrive on Friday. I'm looking forward to instaling it and the new rear headrests!
      E36 1998 M3 Coupe - Titanium Silver (M3 Tech Procedures)
      E30 1991 318i - Red (318i Tech Procedures)

Comment

Originally posted by Zoso
        I put my 12" sub firing through the ski hole. The bass is adequate. I recent purchased a black vinyl rear seat with the arm rest on eBay for $100. Is $100 out of your budget?

Mine should arrive on Friday. I'm looking forward to instaling it and the new rear headrests!
        that sounds like a good find.
        When I was looking for one couple months ago, I couldn't find anyting. :?
        ~ Go Canucks Go! ~

Comment

Originally posted by kencopperwheat
          it makes a HUGE difference. the metal cut out panel and seat foam muffle the bass enormously. i put in a seatback with an armrest and took out the metal panel and the difference is night and day.

Comment

I just did this in my es. You HAVE to cut the foam out of the seat back, otherwise the seat cover flaps against the foam and it sounds like ass. I also glued the cover to the foam around the cut-out to further prevent this. It still muffles the bass slightly, but sounds fine. It also gives rear seat passengers a nice back massage. :D
            Pics can be found at

FYI: I used a single 10" Clarion DVC driver in a 1.75 cu. ft. ported box. The amp is an Infinity Reference 310a (~300w at 2 ohms) The original BMW premium 5-1/4's mid/highs are driven off the deck.
            Sounds great for a budget system. I still have to do a cover plate for the trunk so that only the amp shows, but I got lazy.
            LMK what you think
            Phil Griffin
            Toronto, Canada
            '86 325es
            85 VW GTI VR6

Comment

I just have my rear handrest down, and the little leather piece up. Otherwise I feel the wind hitting my neck, which is cool for a while but gets annoying fast.

Keep it slideways!!

Comment

Originally posted by white chocolate
                Originally posted by kencopperwheat
                it makes a HUGE difference. the metal cut out panel and seat foam muffle the bass enormously. i put in a seatback with an armrest and took out the metal panel and the difference is night and day.
                I disagree, Jordan's sounds so damn good and his seat is untouched afaik.. Jordan?
                Who doesn't love a little BBQ?
                Griot's Garage at a Deep Discount

Comment

yeh but his box is ported....

i had a stock seat and i got a ski hole cut in it.... looks perfect and it only cost me like $100aud

When i have the ski hle closed the sub sounds like crap because it has no room between it and the back seat to move air.

Comment

The foam most certainly DOES muffle the bass. I tried and noticed it immediatly and turned my box around.

Besides, having the bass reflect off of the rear of the trunk and dissolve into the cabin and body of the car creates a superior bass image for the front seat listeners.

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain."
                    R.I.P. Harry Goz aka. Captain Murphy
                    "My ride, My ride, she don't beg, steal, cheat, or lie,
                    My ride, My ride, and our relationship is classified."

Comment

Working...
                    X