Subwoofer Box Build: Spring 2010

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Subwoofer Box Build: Spring 2010

Guys, I think I am gonna do a small box build...like right now.

I am only going to be doing the ported 10" box right now, deluxe ONLY.

I am only going to be able to build in lots of 4 right now, but may soon have a real workspace...so:
    This round is closed. Thank you for your support!

Luke
    Last edited by StereoInstaller1; 04-18-2010, 09:11 AM.

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Holy. Fuckin. Shit balls.

Deal of the year right here!

If I hadn’t completed the meticulous wiring on my personal/crude/not-really-that-efficient trunk box – I’d be all over this like a drunken sailor on a cheap, voluptuous hooker after a 4 year voyage at sea.

G’damn Luke! GLWSales !
    -----Zen and the Art of e30 Maintenance - / - Zen TOC - / - Zen Summary

Comment

MINE! Sending moneys right meow! :D :D :D :D

K Payment sent. One question though, what's the difference between the deluxe box and the standard box?

Matt
      Matt

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy
      I pack my CD player with asbestos. Those mother fuckers pay dearly for stealing my shit.
      Originally posted by kronus
      try whacking parts of the motor with a wrench while yelling "YOU WANT SUMMA DIS? HUH?"
      Originally posted by chadthestampede
      This is like a reverse build thread; it starts out nice and gets shitty.

Comment

Paid! This does fit into an M3 trunk correct? The opening is narrower than the rest... Just wanted to be sure.
        '88 M3.2 S54 Lachssilber/Black
        '07 335i Alpine/Black Sedan
        '12 X5 3.5i Alpine/Black
        iS Splitters For Sale, PM ME!
        sigpic

Comment

2 gone, 2 to go.

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

You got PM.

Matt
            Matt

Originally posted by slammin.e28guy
            I pack my CD player with asbestos. Those mother fuckers pay dearly for stealing my shit.
            Originally posted by kronus
            try whacking parts of the motor with a wrench while yelling "YOU WANT SUMMA DIS? HUH?"
            Originally posted by chadthestampede
            This is like a reverse build thread; it starts out nice and gets shitty.

Comment

Paid !!!

Comment

How big of a driver can you fit in this box? In terms of mounting depth and magnet size.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbobian View Post
                  How big of a driver can you fit in this box? In terms of mounting depth and magnet size.
                  That is a tough question.

Cliffs? Most cheap woofers fit. NOTHING huge, this ain't about that. If you want HUGE, PM me. I can do something later, but not quite right now.

First, keep in mind that it is all about compromise: this is NOT a "100% performance at all costs" design: this is all about making excellent bass that is small, light, cheap, easy to build while sounding better than ANY other design (and will still piss off your buddies who spent 5 times as much and theirs sounds WEAK by comparison).

My goal is a very dynamic SQ with some serious "heft" and "slam". Oddly enough, I find VERY few big burly subwoofers that sound decent at all...I mean seriously, it nearly seems like power handling is the enemy of sound quality! The beauty of this design is how well it plays everything. Bust out the "1812" on telarc, or the "Kodo Drummers" on sheffield labs...you will scare yourself silly, even using a $50 woofer on a $100 amp!

Rap shit? Try Black Eyed Peas "Imma Be" and listen to the tones and textures of bass most subwoofers can't even play! You can hear a deep "thud" on most subs, with this you can actually hear MUSIC in that thud!

One of these days I am gonna hook up with Image Dynamics. I have plans to do a series of "ID MAX" boxes, but they are gonna be big, heavy, triple braced beasts of a box, and likely about $750...(with woofer...not too bad, really) with the best damn bass you ever heard in a car, period.

Anyway, back to your question: the bottom of the box is 10" deep, the top is 4" deep, the height is 15"...so since the woofer is at an angle, magnet diameter and depth both play a role in what fits or not, so there is not simple answer.

Now, back to it: I have payment on 3 of 4. Imma be doin' this!

Closing SOON!

Comment

Oh yeah, forgot to mention I found 10 yards of the old school box carpet, the stuff that is a nearly flawless match.

You will get this new stuff with your box.

Thanks, guys!
                    Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

Would I be able to buy some of that carpet? I didn't do a very good job cutting the carpet for my box. :P
                      Cornering is like bringing a woman to climax.
                      -Jackie Stewart

Comment

yeah, I suppose...but call your local upholstery supply stores and ask if they can get Foss "Ensemble"...that is what it is.

Quick edit: it has been damn near impossible to get in the last year: this 10 yards (1/2 yd per box) is likely the last I will ever see.

Closing SOON!

Comment

whats the difference with the deluxe box luke?

I need an e36 box from you :), the stereo guys around here can suck my dick. I <3'd my Gen ! 12' box!
                          ***Affordable Powder Coating Here:***
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...=1#post2074588
                          *** Bay Area/NorCal Fender Rolling Here: ***
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...29#post1989029

***If you've ever bought anything from/dealt with me please add feedback!!:
                          http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/showthread.php?t=137611***

Thank You!

Comment

E36? Fold down?

What does the phrase "road trip" mean to you?

Closing SOON!

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
                              yeah, I suppose...but call your local upholstery supply stores and ask if they can get Foss "Ensemble"...that is what it is.

Quick edit: it has been damn near impossible to get in the last year: this 10 yards (1/2 yd per box) is likely the last I will ever see.
                              According to the Foss distr. list, http://www.penn-elcom.com/Default.asp?MC=1107020&GC=511 carries Ensemble, and that link looks pretty much like what I got from you.
                              Cornering is like bringing a woman to climax.
                              -Jackie Stewart

Comment

Working...
                              X