No ski pass, what kind of box should i go with for my coupe?

Collapse
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • ZekeTheSneak
    replied
    Luke i finished installing my 10" jl d3 in my trunk, Its bolted to the trunk floor and the amp sits on top of it. Its a sealed box. The center portion of the sheet metal has been punched out so it thumps really hard and sounds awesome. I even had to turn the bass down because there was too much. The previous person put two tens in my trunk with a hugge heavy mildewy box. thats going to be burned soon :) thanks for getting my car started

    Leave a comment:


  • Gruelius
    replied
    havent had a chance to try and set it up properly ( its 10pm here) but so far so good.

    bit of static noise at high volume with nothing going on in the song but its only if im being really picky (and i havent got a proper source ((actual cd lol)) to test it with.) midrange is a bit low but im hoping ill sort that out with the eq on the headunit. also the bass isnt as punchy as i had hoped but i forgot i had the BASS BOOOOOST switch on the amp on, and the boot is leaking (boot is still pressed in from the silly lady crashing into me :() and i havent had a chance to dynamat the back of the boot e.t.c.

    but yeah only having a front stage is going much better than i thought it would.


    BTW stereoinstaller do you know of any headunits with a high preout voltage but low dial range (e.g. 0-25 instead of 0-55 lol)

    thanks

    Leave a comment:


  • StereoInstaller1
    replied
    and how do ya like it?

    Leave a comment:


  • Gruelius
    replied
    this is what i went with. i have 2 brackets holding the sub in (only one was shown in the pic)







    more then enough bass with the rear speakers removed

    Leave a comment:


  • Gruelius
    replied
    come on guys can you fight in another thread lol

    Originally posted by SoEm0
    I am currently faced with this same problem, no damn ski pass. My rear deck has the cutouts for the premium speakers so they look a bit bigger than the typical ones. I have decided for my first go around I am going to design a box that fires 2 10" subs upwards and utilizes a horned port to fill up the entire speaker spot.
    thats interesting, got pics to visualise that?

    ive got people telling me that with small speaker holes i may aswell just get a big sub and fire it at the boot wall, but id like to try something like this!

    im thinking ill just try a boring sealed box first

    Leave a comment:


  • DragonOrta
    replied
    Originally posted by jeff_b
    Big deal. I wasn't challenging his knowledge, only his lofty, condescending asshole attitude. Being a subject matter expert doesn't give anyone license to act like an asshole when their obviously superior self-image decides to blast someone else's (in their noble opinion perhaps infantile?) efforts?

    I'm surprised you took your head out of his lap long enough to peck out your defense of him. Fuck you both, out.
    What I got from reading Luke's post was just him sharing his experience about what works the best. He was just letting people know that a certain design works better than another and what about the design makes it work better.

    Leave a comment:


  • jeff_b
    replied
    Originally posted by DragonOrta
    Keep in mind that Luke has been doing car audio for a long LONG time. And he focuses on E30 audio. So his pinkie knows more about audio in the E30 than you do.
    Big deal. I wasn't challenging his knowledge, only his lofty, condescending asshole attitude. Being a subject matter expert doesn't give anyone license to act like an asshole when their obviously superior self-image decides to blast someone else's (in their noble opinion perhaps infantile?) efforts?

    I'm surprised you took your head out of his lap long enough to peck out your defense of him. Fuck you both, out.

    Leave a comment:


  • DragonOrta
    replied
    Keep in mind that Luke has been doing car audio for a long LONG time. And he focuses on E30 audio. So his pinkie knows more about audio in the E30 than you do.
    Originally posted by jeff_b
    Wow. I've never seen anyone suck their own dick so much in my fucking life. Get the fuck over yourself.

    Leave a comment:


  • SoEm0
    replied
    I am currently faced with this same problem, no damn ski pass. My rear deck has the cutouts for the premium speakers so they look a bit bigger than the typical ones. I have decided for my first go around I am going to design a box that fires 2 10" subs upwards and utilizes a horned port to fill up the entire speaker spot.

    Leave a comment:


  • jeff_b
    replied
    Quoted from Stereoinstaller:

    "I did read through Jordans build.

    I am glad he went back to the basics that I taught him.

    Do keep in mind I am the one who built his first box, and taught him how to set up an all active 3 way system...like I had in my car when we both lived in Corvallis. The sound of my car is why he built his first system the way he did: separate amps for each speaker and an audiocontrol crossover.

    Hell, he bought most of his gear from me! Funny how he fails to mention that kind of detail...

    This is how I have set my cars up since the 80's.

    The boxes I do today are far superior, and will outperform the one he has built too. I don't just use weatherstripping as a woofer seal. My port area is bigger, and the box/woofer combo is tuned to the vehicle, not the spec sheet.

    3 way active, ported, vented through the rear deck, 100% of the bass into the car. Audiocontrol crossovers, quality stuff.

    That Hybrid Audio stuff...their spec sheets are hilarious. They talk about basic speaker design, then try and throw so much spin on them that you think a "T Yolk" is proprietary to them! Sorry guys, nice chinese made stuff, but a 1" voicecoil isn't oversized...

    I am surprised Jordo didn't spend more time on the box. Mine is so far advanced from that it is silly, but so is my front speaker design...but what else would you expect?"





    Wow. I've never seen anyone suck their own dick so much in my fucking life. Get the fuck over yourself.

    Leave a comment:


  • 808BMW
    replied
    Here's my version:


    Excuse the haggardness, I yanked most of my stereo stuff out long ago and just left things everywhere.

    Oh and not to disagree with Luke (who knows more about e30 stereos than all of us, there's a reason he's an OG grampa). But my old box fit through my e30 trunk (by a hair) and I'm calculating 4.06cf net volume. Although it would get bumped below 4cf with sub displacement, but you could drop the box in first, then mount the subs inverse to keep the airspace :P
    Last edited by 808BMW; 04-29-2010, 05:14 PM.

    Leave a comment:


  • Schnitzer318is
    replied
    Originally posted by g.ruff561
    However there are more cars on the road with no ski pass rear seats than there are with them.
    Here's what I ended up doing for my wife's daily. Not the most elegant solution, but it gets the job done and doesn't look too bad in our opinions.



    Leave a comment:


  • E30Nova
    replied
    Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
    I did read through Jordans build.

    I am glad he went back to the basics that I taught him.

    Do keep in mind I am the one who built his first box, and taught him how to set up an all active 3 way system...like I had in my car when we both lived in Corvallis. The sound of my car is why he built his first system the way he did: separate amps for each speaker and an audiocontrol crossover.

    Hell, he bought most of his gear from me! Funny how he fails to mention that kind of detail...

    This is how I have set my cars up since the 80's.

    The boxes I do today are far superior, and will outperform the one he has built too. I don't just use weatherstripping as a woofer seal. My port area is bigger, and the box/woofer combo is tuned to the vehicle, not the spec sheet.

    3 way active, ported, vented through the rear deck, 100% of the bass into the car. Audiocontrol crossovers, quality stuff.

    That Hybrid Audio stuff...their spec sheets are hilarious. They talk about basic speaker design, then try and throw so much spin on them that you think a "T Yolk" is proprietary to them! Sorry guys, nice chinese made stuff, but a 1" voicecoil isn't oversized...

    I am surprised Jordo didn't spend more time on the box. Mine is so far advanced from that it is silly, but so is my front speaker design...but what else would you expect?

    Eliminated a lot of the pictures just to make this quote smaller. ;)

    Is that box a "bandpass" box? I have no idea what a bandpass box is, so I'm curious as to why it looks like that box has an opening on the back (possibly for another sub?). Interesting post, though.

    Matt

    Leave a comment:


  • g.ruff561
    replied
    StereoInstaller1,
    I think we all on this forum respect your work and your opinion. However there are more cars on the road with no ski pass rear seats than there are with them. We are trying to figure out a economical way to get good bass into our non ski pass cars. I to have considered "hacking" my rear window shelf and installing an 8 or 10 inch sub. I have NO CLUE how I can get this to work. I realize that there are brackets underneath my rear shelf that control keeping my trunk lid up. But I would gladly sacrifice that operation for a good quailty bass box. I have experimented with spot welding the early vert trunk damping strut brackets in my car which would take car of the rear trunk lid problem. Is there ANY way some light could be shed on fabricating a rear deck sub install? Rebuilding the rear deck and maintaining the rigid construction of the car. If "hacking" out a hole in my rear deck and building a box around that hole is what I need to do then so be it. I truly believe it can be done with your help. By the way I am no kid. Im 55 y.o. I think a lot of these young E30 owners have some great ideas. Its just that its not the way we older car guys have been taught to think. I remember when some of the ideas my generation had were considered "crazy". Those ideas are now money makers. I.E. computers, cell phones, touch screen technology. Consider the idea.............G.

    Leave a comment:


  • StereoInstaller1
    replied
    I did read through Jordans build.

    I am glad he went back to the basics that I taught him.

    Do keep in mind I am the one who built his first box, and taught him how to set up an all active 3 way system...like I had in my car when we both lived in Corvallis. The sound of my car is why he built his first system the way he did: separate amps for each speaker and an audiocontrol crossover.

    Hell, he bought most of his gear from me! Funny how he fails to mention that kind of detail...

    This is how I have set my cars up since the 80's.

    The boxes I do today are far superior, and will outperform the one he has built too. I don't just use weatherstripping as a woofer seal. My port area is bigger, and the box/woofer combo is tuned to the vehicle, not the spec sheet.

    3 way active, ported, vented through the rear deck, 100% of the bass into the car. Audiocontrol crossovers, quality stuff.

    That Hybrid Audio stuff...their spec sheets are hilarious. They talk about basic speaker design, then try and throw so much spin on them that you think a "T Yolk" is proprietary to them! Sorry guys, nice chinese made stuff, but a 1" voicecoil isn't oversized...

    I am surprised Jordo didn't spend more time on the box. Mine is so far advanced from that it is silly, but so is my front speaker design...but what else would you expect?




    Leave a comment:

Working...