Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

connecting aftermarket electric fan to factory fan switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

connecting aftermarket electric fan to factory fan switch?

so an aftermarket electric fan has a positive and a negative and the factory fan switch in the radiator has 3 wires coming out of it. is thier a way to splice and electric fan into that switch to make it come on? m20 btw. thanks

fan i'm looking at

The fan switch does not run the fan, stop thinking like that or yo will never "get" electricals.

The fan switch runs the relays for high and low speed...so the relays run the fan, see?

A motor only has 2 power wires, same as any other motor. You will be fine.

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

ya im an idiot. i went to the junkyard and got the plug off of another e30 aux fan and i'm just gona put it onto the end of the aftermarket fan. i'll put the ground with the ground and the other two wires to the power wire on the new fan. then it will turn on with the temp switch and with the ac button.

Comment

or do i only use one of those 2 wires? is one of the wires low speed and the other high speed? if so i would just connect them both to the power on the aftermarket fan. then the brown is ground..... i hate wiring!!! thanks for the help btw

Comment

No info on wiring... but that fan seems a bit low for cfm if you're deleting the mechanical fan. Fine if it's only a replacement auxiliary fan.

Also, dig around on Amazon.com a bit - I found better deals there than anywhere else when I bought my e-fan last week.
          sigpic

1991 318i Sedan Project

Comment

i did a search and thats what i saw for most people using for deleting their mechanical fan????? right now my clutch fan doesn't work and i have my aux fan wired so it goes on high when i hit the snowflake button. if my temp gauge is at half way and i turn it on it goes down to a quarter. i would think this fan is a lot better then the stock aux fan. it will also be right up against the radiator unline my aux fan that has a bunch of stuff between it.

Comment

Working...
            X