Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How to disable / disconnect Pro-Tek alarm ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to disable / disconnect Pro-Tek alarm ??

I'm the second owner of a 1990 325is that I'm currently in the process of retiring (failed smog, terminal low cylinder compression and major coolant leakage issues, plus other potential major repair "opportunities" for a car with 238K miles). The original owner had an aftermarket alarm installed (pretty sure it's called Pro-Tek, since that's embossed on one of the two small black boxes, behind the dash to the left of the steering column, that connect to the alarm LED next to the rear defogger switch). The alarm has given me problems over the years (I think generally whenever the battery was low), but now that I've parted out/removed a few electical items (radio, speakers, a few lights, etc.) and the car isn't run every day, the problem is worse than ever (it did start many times, however, after the radio and speakers were removed a few months ago). I have recharged the battery and removed it when not in use, so I don't think it's the battery at this point.

I'd simply like to disable / disconnect the alarm so I can start the car without any issues (I'll need to drive it to the dismantler). I've tried to locate any threads in this forum regarding this type of issue, but didn't find the exact info I need. I guess if I could identify the "starter kill relay", I would be a step ahead. There are no on/off switches for the alarm that I can find. The smaller of the two black boxes had a high/low "potentiometer-type" knob, but that didn't seem to change anything of relevance. My car has a lot of electrical options (windows, central locking, etc.), and there are a lot of wires that lead into the larger "Pro-Tek" black box.

I'm not a car electronics expert, so any simple / basic advice to disconnect and/or disable the alarm would be greatly appreciated. I could also post pictures of the alarm setup if that would help. Thanks in advance!!

box with the potentiometer is the shock sensor. pull the harness from the control box and it should be fine. starter kill is actuated by a 12v wire from the alarm box telling the relay to open when the alarm is armed. pull the box and it should be fine.

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
    i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
    Originally posted by slammin.e28
    Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

Thanks, that seems to have done the trick (and was pretty basic)! I previously did not realize that the harness could slide off the connector on the edge of the PCB in the Pro-Tek box. Thanks again...

Comment

Working...
      X