Battery drain

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Battery drain

Yesterday I bled the cooling system on the m30 swap. I had had the battery disconnected but on a float charger for several weeks. The engine fired right up with no hesitation. I ran it for about 15 minutes with the aux fan and heater fan on high while bleeding. After a while it started to run rough and the idle began to drop and become more and more lumpy. I switched the car off, went to start it again and got nothing. I checked the battery and got 12.0V across ther terminals. Hooked up a charger and at least was able to get the solenoid to click. After 15 minutes on the charger it fired right up instantly with not problems. So I have 2 questions: One, how could my battery have died so quickly while the car was running? Could the alternator not be supplying enough current? Two, why wouldn't the solenoid even engage when I have a 12.0V? I would expect that at like 9V, but not 12.

Diode pack could be bad in the alternator causing a drain and it not to charge. Though I'm not sure it would drain the battery that fast (or even at all).

Comment

I did some alternator testing, here's what I got:

At idle, voltage across the battery is 12.3V. Shouldn't it be about 14V?

Tester between the small blue wire on the alt and ground gets me about 15.2V

Tester between the large red wire on the alt and ground gets me about 42V.

Shouldn't the red wire be supplying 14-15V to the battery and the blue wire be the ground?

Comment

Working...
      X