battery overcharge, what broke? rpm needle crazy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

battery overcharge, what broke? rpm needle crazy

i was picking up my car at the body shop when the guy told me he was having trouble starting it. we assumed the battery was dead so he plugged his stupid booster on the car (with the battery still plugged). i think the voltage was set too high cuz everytime i turned the key i would get a terribly loud constant buzzing sound from under the dash. the car didnt start either.

as i was trying to start it, with the engine still off, my rpm needle was jumping to 2000rpm! and the INSPECTION light was flashing. all the electronics were acting weird.

finally i realized that the problem was simply a badly screwed down positive battery post. so i tightened it up, unplugged the stupid charger and the car started up beautifully on its own. problem is my rpm needle is now completely fucked, it jumps around like crazy and is no longer steady even though the engine is. also, the economy gauge is dead, the needle no longer moves. all this was working before.

what could have gone wrong if we applied to much voltage to the car? what the hell was the buzzing sound? why is my rpm gauge fucked now? what else can be damaged?
    90 E30 325i

could have fried some circuitry due to over voltage. buzzing sound i dunno could be a warning buzzer or a busted relay?

Comment

Originally posted by payney8 View Post
      could have fried some circuitry due to over voltage. buzzing sound i dunno could be a warning buzzer or a busted relay?
      is there such a thing as a warning buzzer?
      90 E30 325i

Comment

not completly sure genuine but i know you could fit one aftermarketly

Comment

Carefully check the water in the battery.
          Here is my photo gallery answering common questions about Ground Control Suspension, and e30 suspension problems in general.
          Ground Control Gallery

The Ground Control facebook page: Dragged, kicking and screaming into social media to see what happens next.
          Ground Control facebook page

Comment

Working...
          X