Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Glassing your E30 trunk

Here we go again :P
    Tape up everything you want to keep clean, line your tire well with aluminum foil, make a frame, lay out your glass, pat the resin on, let it dry, pop it out, reinforce... :P

Make sure you use a respirator. Maybe when I'm really done I'll add more writing.

EDIT: Thrown together from 2 posts, so some of it is redundant. Sue me :P
    Start by cleaning everything in your trunk out, make it easier to work, and that way you don't get dirt in your glass.

Cover everything you don't want to mess up with some newspaper. You don't want fiberglass on your battery/paint and stuff like that. It's easier to tape it off now than having to hassle with it later. Also, line your spare tire tub with tin foil. Use as many layers as you can, the better job you do, the easier it is to come out.

Put your wooden frame on top. Most frames I've seen are just a wooden square laying around the tub, I guess that would work, but I know what I want, and I made my frame accordingly.

I got all my fiberglass ready in advance, simple because I was waiting for my dad to come home with gloves I ended up using a staple gun to hold my strips in place, and it worked pretty good. It's alot better than trying to hold it when your hands are already covered in resin.

Here it is halfway through, I got pretty pissed and the first half pretty much needs to be cutout and redone. When they say to paint the fiberglass on, they mean it. I dunno what the hell I was doing, and the fumes were really getting to me.

Here it is. I used no mold release agent and it popped out fine. The tin foil really helped. Today I have to cutout all the bubbles and start reinforcing. Once you get your tub out of the trunk it's alot easier though, main thing is to get the outside layer nice and good, from there you can reinforce it.

Things I learned:
    Lay out your glass, then with your brush, pat it on. Just keep dabbing at it. Use a painting or dabbing motion. Any crazy ideas that you think would be easier are a result of the fumes.
    Make sure you have enough supplies. I bought a 16. oz can of resin and regretted it deeply. I had to stop halfway, wait for my mom to come home, jump in her car, run down to the store and grab more. I ended up with 2 more 32. oz cans of resin.
    Use gloves. They make your day so much more enjoyable. A longsleeve shirt will also be helpful, TJ style isn't great for fiberglass. My forarms have quite a bit of resin on them, it's like really sticky gum that just doesn't come off.

Last (that I can think of for now): USE A RESPIRATOR. Seriously, don't say "Oh, it's not that bad". Those fumes are very strong. I was getting a headache from doing it, and I was holding my breath. The first time I took a breath in my trunk, my nose burned and my head stung. This is serious stuff. After my frist batch (when I ran out) I washed my hands waiting for my mom to come home. My legs wouldn't stop shaking. I've made about 800 typos doing this, but my fingers keep messing up. Use a respirator.

Blah, anyhting usefull can be posted after this

line trunk with 7 day masking tape, and covereverything with vaselene... works the best... the glasssticks to the vaseleine enough so you dont have to hold it on the side to wait for the resin to set... and also makes it easy to take out, without having any tin foil stuck to theback of it.... just what i have done for all my fiberglass projects.... i have used wax paper as well, andthat seems to work pretty well, but it still sticks to the glass... oh well, do what you like

http://www.westwerksauto.com

Comment

Meh, tin foil worked perfect for me, done it like 4 times with tin foil, seems good enough. That tub has been sitting in my garage ever since I did it, needs reinforcement, and then I'll build the rest. Oh well, one day.

Comment

I have a question whats the purpose of this i must be missing soemthing?

Comment

Originally posted by bkelsey86
          I have a question whats the purpose of this i must be missing soemthing?
          for a sub. or general steps for fiberglass work.
          FOKAI DA'MA'SHI'I ENSANE GRAPPING INT.

Comment

Working...
          X