Oem Radio Wiring help............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oem Radio Wiring help............

Tried to do a search but could not find related info. I am sure someone has asked this question before. Here goes. I am swapping out my oem radio for an old school Alpine CDA 9820 w/built in xm.. I need to know what factory wire colors represent what functions. This is my first time attempting to do my own audio upgrade. I have a 92 E30 MT2 vert. I have the alpine 16 pin wiring harness. The po hacked the hell out of the speaker wires so I have re-run new speaker wire to the kick panels and rear side panels. I just need to know what each factory wire color goes where. Thanks in advance for your help.................G.

In theory, you should have this kind of wiring:
    http://shark.armchair.mb.ca/~dave/BMW/e30/e30_89.pdf, late production (pg. 99)
    Therefore:
    BR/BK -> ground
    BR solid, two wires on O connector, ground for case
    VI/GY -> hot in acc/run/start
    RD/GN -> hot at all times (memory)
    GY/RD -> light
    HORRID MESS BU/BK - YL/RD - YL/BK BU/RD -> speakers to amp, avoid like the plague.

This assumes that your car is a 6 cyl WITH premium audio.

Comment

supposing you dont have premium sound, where do the wires go? My radio will randomly come on and off. like the Head unit will operate normally etc with no problems at all. but speakers will all go out at once and come back on.

Comment

check this thread out, it is set up for the m42s, but it may be the same on the 6 cylinders w/o premium sound:

1991 318is ---230K - DD
        1991 318i ---- 308K - retired

Originally posted by RickSloan
        so if you didnt get it like that did you glue fuzzy oil to the entire thing?

Comment

thanks, i got the things hooked up correctly. im trying to find all of the ground points on the audio. im searching atm.

Comment

Working...
          X