Head Unit Problem..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Head Unit Problem..?

Hey all.. hoping to get some advice from some knowledgeable stereo guys.

I installed an Alpine CDE-102 head unit in my car about 4-5 months ago. Since the install, the head unit has "skipped" considerably bad. It's not like a CD skipping, but the whole unit powers down and restarts. It turns back on after about 5 seconds, and resumes play.

Sometimes, it skips so bad it won't turn back on for a few minutes.

However, it does not always happen when I hit bumps. Sometimes it'll randomly go out, over and over and over and over.. I just say fuck it and turn the unit off.

Now I'm thinking that the H/U itself is kaput. It was installed by my brother in-law, who is very knowledgeable. We even tore it back out and checked all the wiring and re-taped everything.

So, am I right in thinking the H/U is shit, or has anyone else had this problem?
    My 1991 318is Progression Thread

UPDATE:

So, I bought a new headunit. Still skips. Pretty sure it is a short somewhere in the system. I am hoping it is a fuse or something, because prior to this, it did not do it with the old unit.

Does anyone know the fuse number for the stereo system?

Comment

I'm sure you've already thought of this, but have you checked the connections at the power wires? (I assume you've spliced into the factory harness with the Alpine's wiring harness)

Comment

Problem solved:

Tore into it a little more, 'cause it was way too late last night to be worrying about it.

OBC was shorting out the system due to a lose connector in the back. Tore it out, ran the stereo for a good 20 mins with no shorting. Plugged OBC back in very snugly, used the stock "connector" for the OBC, and still no short.

Sooo happy I didn't have to tear any hardcore stuff out or chase wires.

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP, R3V! WHERE WOULD I BE WITHOUT YOU?!

Comment

Working...
        X