Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

R3V wants remote start: How do you want it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

R3V wants remote start: How do you want it?

In the last couple of weeks I have gotten quite a few PMs regarding remote start.

I now have a system that can do remote start SAFELY on a manual transmission.

I know the first step is making a tutorial, so I have posted a request for an unaltered car: http://www.r3vlimited.com/board/show...64#post2223464

This is the dilemma: The alarm I use is widely available on the internet, at about my cost or just over...but to do the manual start mode, it needs special programming and a minor modification, plus all the other "pre-wiring", none of which is all that hard to do.

So, the question is: Do you want to buy a pictorial from me? Do you want to buy "pre-wired" alarms from me? Tell me what or how you want this delivered, as I am not gonna pass out this level of tech help for free, certainly not with pictures and everything...this stuff is what I do for a living, y'know?

If I were to sell the tutorial, how much do you think I should charge? Should I cover deeper stuff like window roll-up, or door LEDs?

Discuss, please.

Luke

Closing SOON!
    "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Perhaps you could offer a few different options? Some of us (me) are electrically retarded and couldn't wire up a lightbulb. Remote start wiring might as well be linear algebra.

Tutorials could be a great, less expensive option for those who want to go that route and play around a bit. But there's nothing to stop someone who buys your tutorial from passing it around to everyone else free of charge.

I'd love to buy a pre-wired kit and install it myself (if I were in the market)

Auto windows and door LEDs could, again a great option for people who want to take that on. Write up some nice tutorials, sell them for $25-$50 with tech support if needed. If they're going to be a step-by-step instruction that saves me hours of pouring over wiring diagrams and picking wires out of bundles to test, only to have it not work, I'd throw you that many bones for sure.

And to those thinking about this I just want to throw in my 2 cents. Luke did an alarm install and remote start/keyless entry on my e34 last winter. I fucking LOVE it. These things are the shit. If you're on the fence guys, just do it. You wont be disappointed!

Comment

Thanks, bubba.

Yeah, I am worried about how to "enforce" the tutorial. Maybe just not sell it to assholes?

Closing SOON!

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Comment

Luke, is there any way to make this plug and play for the factory e36 alarm plug?

Originally posted by ROLLingKING
        i have a bronzit and plan on making it look sweet.
        Originally posted by slammin.e28
        Moral of this story?

If you drive your e30 on stairs, you're gonna have a bad time.

Comment

I say you sell only the kits. If you sell tutorial, there is nothing stopping people from posting it up or sharing it with friends. I would gladly pay for simple to install alarm + remote starter for my car.
          My Seller/Buyer Feedback

Performance Aftermarket Parts & Accessories

Comment

Originally posted by MrSlacker View Post
            I say you sell only the kits. If you sell tutorial, there is nothing stopping people from posting it up or sharing it with friends. I would gladly pay for simple to install alarm + remote starter for my car.
            Register the copyright. I'm not sure what you could do about rapidshare type sites, but most admins don't want anything to do with copyright infringement.

Or you could sell it as a printed manual, and people would be less likely to copy and share it.
            1989 325i Alpineweiß II

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1 View Post
              Thanks, bubba.

Yeah, I am worried about how to "enforce" the tutorial. Maybe just not sell it to assholes?
              I used to work for an online security consulting business and im an ex-hacker so i know my computers and there are some pretty easy ways to prevent this. There are many cost-efficient ways to do so if you would like I can help you.

'88 325iX -Totaled
              '97 M3 - Sold
              '85 euro e30 Pete McHenry 2.8L m20 Stroker - Parting out
              '89 325is - Sold
              '95 540i 6spd
              '87 325is M Technic I s50

Comment

lol

Moral of this story?

Comment

I've seen a lot of hacks in my day and I can tell by the decrypted PDF's.
                  Originally posted by Matt-B
                  hey does anyone know anyone who gets upset and makes electronics?

Comment

Just do up a wiring kit, I'd be interested in that. I'm super interested in whatever you do with this. Just DO WORK SON.
                    REMEMBER: Be safe and have fun is Rule Number 1.

The Epic Unbuild of Clint Eastwood

Comment

So do you have to have an alarm to have remote start? Because remote start is pretty much all I want.

Originally posted by stewie30luvr
                      ooo cause i was fixing my chain tensioner and there was a black widow on the radiator so i killed it
                      Originally posted by JakeP
                      with a coathanger

Comment

Originally posted by jasonsnoddy View Post
                        So do you have to have an alarm to have remote start? Because remote start is pretty much all I want.
                        Well, keep in mind a properly installed alarms really is no bother, and the cost difference is like $8...well, the install would be the same, just disconnect the sensor...or if you just wanna have no sensor temporarily, simply "arm" (lock) it twice and no more sensor. I call this the "Harley Mode" as the fucktards on vee-twins seem to delight in setting my alarm off...which they cannot in harley mode...so I fuck with them outside the bar.

Fuck.

So the general consensus is basically just include instructions and sell pre-wired kits, right?

So, how about I include a password to access the PDF and change it all the time, then you have to email me to get the new password? I hate the idea of shipping printed material, but that might just be smartest.

If you looked on the 'net, the same alarm sells for about $65ish plus shipping.

Relays, figure a couple bucks, connectors, wire, whatever, that shit adds up to maybe a few bucks each...but this shit kills my arms to do (feels like an "Indian Arm Burn" from my shoulders to my fingers, every day. I fucking live on ibuprophen) so I can't really mass produce them, nor can I trust anyone else local to me to do them for me. So, how much is my time/knowledge worth?

I figure to get the pics done, a full day. Another probably 2 days writing the instructions...hell, maybe a week. Typing kills me too if it is too much.

So, what if I charged $150 for the basic kit...anyone be interested?

I think I can lay it out well enough that a guy capable of doing a timing belt could bust it out in about 4 or 5 hours if he was scared of fuxing stuff up, did not have the right shit, shitty lighting, whatever. If you were organized and stayed focused, you could do the entire install in 2 hours, total.

You would HAVE to have to tools I demand...but you need a set of small Knipex pliers and a set of ChannelLock crimpers in your tools anyway, whether you know it or not.

Thanks for the input fellas, keep it coming.

Luke

Closing SOON!

Comment

Originally posted by accident View Post
                          Luke, is there any way to make this plug and play for the factory e36 alarm plug?

Moral of this story?

Comment

No, not a fucking chance in hell.

Sorry, I forgot to answer.

The E36 is pretty easy, but the stock setup has shit for sensors and does not have everything modern alarms need, so the plug won't do it all.

Closing SOON!

Comment

Hey guys, bumping this back up.

Alarms are ordered, gonna be here Monday or tuesday.

Our very own Banny (er...Danny) is going to install his own in my garage while I take the pics.

If Danny can do it, YOU can do it!

Closing SOON!

Comment

Working...
                              X