6.5" speakers in kickpanels?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

6.5" speakers in kickpanels?

Who here has successfully installed 6.5" speakers in the stock kickpanel locations? How much modifying was involved? What did you have to do?

Well my previous owner seemed to use a gigantic hammer to destroy the kick panel locations. 6.5's will fit, however unless you're gonna do it right or have 6.5s in possession (I did and had holes already) then I suggest keeping the stock 5.25" size.

On the driver side the hood latch release gets in the way of my speaker, so I don't have the grills on them. I have infinity reference 6.5's that aren't that deep.

I'd say go for it if you really want to. Alot of people fabricate speakers into the doors (I dislike it, I like them in the kick panel area) again you can fabricate a kick panel like Jordan (owner of this site).

All up to how much work / how profesional you want it to look.
    Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

6.5" Kappas in the stock location, the plastic kick panels were cut out so the Infinity grills could fit, but no metal cutting was needed.
      '91 318is
      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by eightyfoure
        Well my previous owner seemed to use a gigantic hammer to destroy the kick panel locations. 6.5's will fit, however unless you're gonna do it right or have 6.5s in possession (I did and had holes already) then I suggest keeping the stock 5.25" size.

On the driver side the hood latch release gets in the way of my speaker, so I don't have the grills on them. I have infinity reference 6.5's that aren't that deep.

I'd say go for it if you really want to. Alot of people fabricate speakers into the doors (I dislike it, I like them in the kick panel area) again you can fabricate a kick panel like Jordan (owner of this site).

All up to how much work / how profesional you want it to look.
        I have a set of 6.5" and 5.25" Reference speakers. When I bought the speakers, they came with free installation. The guy was supposed to install the 6.5s in the rear deck and put the 5.25s in the kick panels. The guy messed up and put the 6.5s up front, and the 5.25s in back. I wouldn't mind, if he at least did a good job. That was the crappiest istall job i have ever seen. The speakers were attached by just one screw, and they pushed out too far, so the hood release lever would catch on the driver-side, and the glove box would catch on the other side.

I soon swapped the speakers, but then I coudn't hear the front speakers compared to the rear. I decided to leave the rear deck empty, and put the 6.5s back up front. I just need to figure out how to do it without it being crappy. If it doesn't work, i may just leave the 5.25s in the front.

Comment

I made new kick panels to fit my Quarts in the stock location.
          No big deal, but then again. I am an installer...

Go kick its ass!

Luke

Closing SOON!
          "LAST CHANCE FOR G.A.S." DEAL IS ON NOW

Luke AT germanaudiospecialties DOT com or text 425-761-6450, or for quickest answers, call me at the shop 360-669-0398

Thanks for 10 years of fun!

Comment

infinity kappa perfect 6.5's

holes cut in the kick panels and the bigger ring mounted in the stock screw holes. speakers mounted to those new rings. sounds badass.

"BMW Style 32 Poster-Child"
            HTTP://WWW.CLAVINZERO.COM/e30-5-lug
            **(My Guide to E36 M3/Z3 1.9L 5-lug Swap)

Comment

Nice. Since one of my 6.5 Infinity Reference crapped out on me quite awhile ago I'm thinking about getting Polk/Momo 5 1/4 or 6.5s for the kicks since I got tweeters awhile ago for a good price.
              Project Thread | Instagram | Phoenix, Arizona Events Thread

Comment

sounds like a solid plan.

"BMW Style 32 Poster-Child"
                HTTP://WWW.CLAVINZERO.COM/e30-5-lug
                **(My Guide to E36 M3/Z3 1.9L 5-lug Swap)

Comment

Originally posted by StereoInstaller1
                  I made new kick panels to fit my Quarts in the stock location.
                  No big deal, but then again. I am an installer...

Go kick its ass!

Luke
                  i need some pics of this or atleast details on what you did. i need to make some for my 6.5 inch focals. i cut the sheet metal so i can get them in there plenty far enough but moutning them on the actual kick panel puts them out too far. You said something about 1/4 mdf but i still can't figure it out.

Comment

My custom kicks, with flush 6.5's
                    (way old pic)

E30 ABS Pump Refurbishment Service
                    https://mtechniqueauto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Jordan
                      My custom kicks, with flush 6.5's
                      (way old pic)
                      yeah i've seen this pic, but it doesn't help me figure out how to make them. I guess i could just go to town with some mdf, but a little explanation would probably be all i need. i like how you flush mounted them looks clean.

Comment

Working...
                      X