Fog Lights Keep Blowing Fuses

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fog Lights Keep Blowing Fuses

I installed a driver's side fog light in my '90 325i the other day and it worked for a few hours until I blew the fuse. I replaced it with a new one, but when I turned the fog lights on the new fuse blew in about half a second. Could this be a short in the wiring? And if so, is there a common place that fog lights short out?

Are these factory fogs, or aftermarket?

If factory, could be a bad relay. Or like you said, a short somewhere. Just going to have to trace the wires.

If aftermarket, where are you running power from?

Comment

They are the same as the originals, just new (not made by BMW). I just plugged them into the cord where the originals plugged in. Its a black wire with a blue plug at the end?

Comment

Are you sure you are using the correct rated fuse? Maybe the new lights are higher wattage and thus draw more power? Otherwise, you have a short somewhere.

Comment

So what happened? Were you able to fix your fog light issue? If so, what was it? I'm having the identical problem :(
          1991 318i Sedan
          2005 X5 3.0i Sport
          2010 328i M-Sport Touring

Comment

I had the same problem with a set of used fogs I bought. Turns out the PO had installed higher wattage replacement bulbs. I put the correct bulbs in and they work fine now.
            sigpic
            January 2012 COTM

Comment

Working...
            X