Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help and advice ideas for E30 Vert install. Do's-Don'ts and tips please. Thx for Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help and advice ideas for E30 Vert install. Do's-Don'ts and tips please. Thx for Help

Hello, I am looking for some help and advice here before I start on my stereo install. I have a 87 E30 Vert, with “some” distant past basic install experience. However, I know very little about amps, ohms, and really didn’t know that +/- when wiring speakers really made a diff.
    As well all know, convertibles have their challenges when it comes to speakers, space and a finished sounding product. Ever since my first car and 5 and 6 convertibles, I have never had a real decent sounding system. The pyramid amp/EQ with light spectrum display in my 71 Olds convertible was loud back in 84’, but that’s
    The previous owner had a couple decent items installed; however I am considering selling the MONO amp and the 4 channel built by Power Precision and replacing it. Due to the dampness, I was even thinking about going with a marine amp? That is one option I wanted input on. I am not opposed to getting a different amp or two to get the job done. I was even considering the Obcon OB-2800i if the quality is decent. Here are amps:

I was thinking about powering the two rear speakers with the Sony Head unit provided power. That way, (hopefully not) if I had an amp issue, I would still have tunes and 45x4 is decent power, right? Here is what I am looking at:

I have an old Sony passive EQ that I wouldn’t mind using to further adjust the frequencies to my listening preferences. Ideas suggestions on that?
    So my questions are about amps, where to put them? The PO had them on the trunk floor. With the moister back there, I am surprised they made it all these years. Hanging them better? Maybe putting one up front that powers the door mids? Where to get a decent priced cross over, or is there on installed factory going to the tweeters? Due to the many other projects to do on this car as well as the E65, funds are pretty tight. I can always grow and improve the system, I just don’t want to screw anything up to start, costing me more money. I am installing door pods for 8 mid-sub:

I guess that’s enough questions to pose for now. Any and all advice, help and feedback is appreciated. :D
    THANKS!!!
    Last edited by alwaysinabimmer; 03-23-2011, 12:10 PM. Reason: dumb
    87 E30 Vert Alpine DD May-Sept
    04 E65
    06 Denali XL
    GMC RV- Fall weekends
    Larson Boat-Summer Weekends
    84 E30 318 project/part/sell?
    91 318is parted- some parts left
    Sold:(
    98 E39 Sport
    97 E38
    95 525i
    95 E34
    87 524td
    87 535is
    (OO=ll=OO) "E30 owners seem to have wheels like some women have shoes"

Any help or advice? Anyone? Luke, some expert experience with cabs you can lend?
    87 E30 Vert Alpine DD May-Sept
    04 E65
    06 Denali XL
    GMC RV- Fall weekends
    Larson Boat-Summer Weekends
    84 E30 318 project/part/sell?
    91 318is parted- some parts left
    Sold:(
    98 E39 Sport
    97 E38
    95 525i
    95 E34
    87 524td
    87 535is
    (OO=ll=OO) "E30 owners seem to have wheels like some women have shoes"

Comment

I'm following this....But if you want to know..I'm getting a separate amp to power the 4- 5 1/4 speakers and one for my subs in the trunk. Head Unit will stand alone.

Comment

So much not good, going on here!

Ok starting with the Sony head unit. Just don't. Get an alpine or pioneer head unit. I’m always getting an Alpine, because the iPod interface is killer.
        As for trying to put 8" woofers up front. There is no adequate space for that size enclosure. Why do this? It will just look ghetto and stupid. Stick with the 5-1/4” woofer and crossovers to the tweeters in the doors.
        And then put 2way speakers in rear that are 5-1/4”
        For trunk sub. 2x10” or 1x12” and not free floating. Free floating has more distortion sounding. And mount your amp(s) to the back wall of the trunk.

Fronts: TS-D1320C
        Rears: TS-D1302R
        12” you can get Pioneer TS-W3002D2|D4 or Alpine SWR-1243D
        10” you can get Pioneer TS-W2502D2|D4 or Alpine SWR-1043D

And then use Luke’s amp choices.
        Much wow
        I hate 4 doors

Comment

sounds close to what I'm doing....

I work at Best Buy, and they have a huge discount program for all KICKER products...can;t buy directly from the store though.

Most products are like 50% off, some more....There's a $1300 amp for like 350.

Comment

Working...
          X